× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1900/EX7000 Shows connected, but _EXT networks do not not show on network on wireless devices

Tarzan61
Aspirant

AC1900/EX7000 Shows connected, but _EXT networks do not not show on network on wireless devices

So all lights show that my extender is connected to my wireless network, but none show up on any of my devices, can anyone help please? 

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: AC1900/EX7000 Shows connected, but _EXT networks do not not show on network on wireless devices

Are you able to hardwire into the device? If so what firmware are you on?

What router and firmware are you running?

Here's some steps you could try.

1. Reboot. Sounds lame but does ocassionally work. 

2. If you can log into the device, make sure the wireless is enabled in settings.

3. Change the channel of your wireless. Doubt this will work but worth the effort if it does work.

4. reset the device. Hold the reset button on the side for 7-10 seconds and redo  your full setup. 

If you firmware is out of date, I'd recommend updating that over a hardwired connection and then doing a full reset afterward. you'll get the best results following that route. 

Message 2 of 6
Tarzan61
Aspirant

Re: AC1900/EX7000 Shows connected, but _EXT networks do not not show on network on wireless devices

Unable to connect directly to extender, even though the green light says that the extender is connected to my network, retarting didn't help either. It's like it is receiving my wifi signal but is not broadcasting it? Maybe it went bad?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

@Tarzan61 wrote:

Unable to connect directly to extender, even though the green light says that the extender is connected to my network, retarting didn't help either. It's like it is receiving my wifi signal but is not broadcasting it? Maybe it went bad?

when you say unable to connect directly, you mean you took an ethernet cable and tried to directly connect and still couldn't access the extender login or use it?

did you try factory resetting it? Hold the reset button in for 7-10 seconds until the lights start flashing. That should reset it and let you redo it. 

Message 4 of 6
Tarzan61
Aspirant

I reset to factory settings and it showed on my available networks for only a minute or two. Suport from India called me back and logged into my computer and tried to convince me that MANY people were logged into my device and using my address. They then tried to sell me an "External Firewall" for 99.99 for one year, and then something about a Premium plan that would cost 299.99. He was very hard to understand with his accent.I think it was a scam and was afraid that I temporarily allowed them to access my computer and told them I was not interested and cut the conversation short. It was then that I noticed that most of my devices would not even connect to my network at all. I unplugged the extender and immediately both iPhones and iPads were able to connect and stay connected to my wireless network. It is stil unplugged and will be going in the dumpster. A little over 2 years old and never really worked, or at least never worked consistantly. It is a boat anchor now. Thanks.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is loaded on the EX?
What is the Mfr and model# of the main host router the NG extender is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and extender(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using on the main host router? 

Might ask for updated FW from @Christian_R 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/Any-update-on-EX7000-FW/m-p/1742524/...

@Tarzan61 wrote:

I reset to factory settings and it showed on my available networks for only a minute or two. Suport from India called me back and logged into my computer and tried to convince me that MANY people were logged into my device and using my address. They then tried to sell me an "External Firewall" for 99.99 for one year, and then something about a Premium plan that would cost 299.99. He was very hard to understand with his accent.I think it was a scam and was afraid that I temporarily allowed them to access my computer and told them I was not interested and cut the conversation short. It was then that I noticed that most of my devices would not even connect to my network at all. I unplugged the extender and immediately both iPhones and iPads were able to connect and stay connected to my wireless network. It is stil unplugged and will be going in the dumpster. A little over 2 years old and never really worked, or at least never worked consistantly. It is a boat anchor now. Thanks.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7