× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC750 (EX6100). Can I use as hotspot when there is no other router available?

Jerrybald
Aspirant

AC750 (EX6100). Can I use as hotspot when there is no other router available?

I want a device like this to connect (wired) to a portable server device (actually an audio mixer with dhcp available) for clients to connect to that server/mixer. There will sometimes be no other network to 'extend'.  Will this AC750 do the job?

Message 1 of 7
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: AC750 (EX6100). Can I use as hotspot when there is no other router available?

When you say the audio mixer has DHCP available do you mean that it operates as a DHCP server as opposed to a client? If a server does it populate all IP data e.g. DNS and Gateway addresses.

I can’t say with 100% certainty, but I would expect that devices associated with the EX6100 which have correct LAN IP addresses should be able to communicate with each other. The loss of the gateway device (which in this case never exists) should not cause that segment of the LAN to completely fail.

In my case I have several Access Points and range extenders on my LAN, and between them and the Gateway router I have several switches. I would be most disappointed if powering down the Gateway caused my LAN to immediately degrade, and in fact it doesn’t. I have even managed twice now to switch out the Gateway router from one model to another (different manufacturers) without losing any functionality in the LAN.

Message 2 of 7
Jerrybald
Aspirant

Re: AC750 (EX6100). Can I use as hotspot when there is no other router available?

Hi Andy

Yes, it will operate as dhcp client or server and there is a space for a gateway address.  Looks promising then.

Thanks

Jerry

Message 3 of 7
Jerrybald
Aspirant

I ended up getting an EX6000, due to some confusion at the store as to which they had in stock.  The part numbers are not very helpful, all being called AC750.  The local expert had some difficulty working out the difference but finally decided that it was a matter of throughput, which will not affect me.

Setup was a problem and I have been unsuccessful so far.  I tried to do it 'stand-alone' but I now think I should join it up to my network first, then take it away.  It must spend most of its life without a network.

The plugged-in item is an audio mixer, which will serve DHCP.  All other devices must be wireless clients of that AC750 access point.

Any comments or observations which might help me?

Thanks

Jerry

Message 4 of 7
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think the idea of running through the normal setup to completion is good, and I don’t envisage any issues when you use it without a connection to your network.

Message 5 of 7
Jerrybald
Aspirant

No, it wouldn't work.  As soon as the upstream router disappeared, the clients couldn't connect.  Shame - the small format was perfect

Message 6 of 7
TheEther
Guru

There are range extenders offered by other brands that can dynamically assume the role of a DHCP server when the router goes down.  I have no idea how well they work in practice but it sounds like the functionality you are looking for.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7