× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Brother Printer cannot see NETGEAR Nighthawk X4 AC2200

CollieMom
Aspirant

Brother Printer cannot see NETGEAR Nighthawk X4 AC2200

I have a Brother MFC-J6920DW printer that is setup wirelessly at home.  When setting up a connection to wireless networks, it can see the primary home network (AT&T uverse) but it does not detect the Netgear Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender that is extending this network.  It does not come up on the list of WiFi networks on the printer screen during setup.  It is even seeing the WiFi networks of my neighbors, but not the Extender.  Other devices in the house (laptops, iPhones, etc.) can all see the extender, but the printer cannot.  Is it possible there is a setting on the Nighthawk that is preventing it from being seen?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello CollieMom

It could be that the printer can only see 2.4ghz networks and the extender is running a 5ghz network.

Darrenm

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello CollieMom 

Is the SSID set to a different name than the main routers?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
CollieMom
Aspirant

The SSID for the extender has the same name as the main router with "_5GEXT" appended at the end.  It was setup to extend the existing network and inherit all the same settings, including the password.

Message 3 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello CollieMom

It could be that the printer can only see 2.4ghz networks and the extender is running a 5ghz network.

Darrenm

Message 4 of 5
CollieMom
Aspirant

DarrenM, thank you so much, you are correct!  I reset the Netgear so that it repeats at both the 2.4 and the 5 GHz.  The printer can now see the "_2GEXT" network and connect to it.  I am now able to print documents on the Brother whether my laptop is connected to the _2GEXT network, the _5GEXT network, or the original router network.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7