× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't access Extender via www.mywifiext.net

jrcruise
Aspirant

Can't access Extender via www.mywifiext.net

I just installed a Netgear WN2500RP range extender, and it seems to be working correctly; however, I am unable to log in to www.mywifiext.net to access the device using a browser. Attempting to access this URL results in a timeout. Is there any other way to access the device? Does the device have to be connected via Ethernet to my (Actiontec PK5000) router?
Message 1 of 39

Accepted Solutions
atomheart
Aspirant

Re: Can't access Extender via www.mywifiext.net

pawnslinger wrote:
It sounds like the subnet mask in the extender is different from that in your computer. That is a classic problem with this class of device. If you think this might be the case, you can establish communications with the device by connecting it by wire to your computer and making sure your computer has no other lan/internet path (connect while both are powered down). Power up the device first, let it settle a couple of minutes, then power on your computer. With no access to your main router, it will use the DHCP in the device to set the subnet mask and get an ip address. You can now use the browser to access the device.

Okay, I'm having the same problem accessing my Extender using www.mywifiext.net which keeps rerouting to the general netgear support site. Your subnet issue makes sense and is no doubt my problem.

Thru repeated full Extender resets and starting all over from the beginning, I am able to enter the www.mywifiext.net configuration menus UNTIL I select a router to connect to. The moment this connection is made, it seems the router's DHCP subnet immediately takes hold and contact with the Extender is dropped, consequently preventing further settings changes and any web access to the Extender again. Very aggravating!

Your alternative hard-wired access method sounds like it could work but I don't have an ethernet cable at hand to try it. And, some devices these days dont even have ethernet ports. I think I should be able to wirelessly access this unique subnet extender any time I want to make and test various settings tweaks. Maybe I can use the "route" command line to create a static connection between www.mywifiext.net and the Extender's internal subnet. Can you tell me what the default Extender subnet is?

Any other suggestions?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 39

All Replies
pawnslinger
Tutor

It sounds like the subnet mask in the extender is different from that in your computer. That is a classic problem with this class of device. If you think this might be the case, you can establish communications with the device by connecting it by wire to your computer and making sure your computer has no other lan/internet path (connect while both are powered down). Power up the device first, let it settle a couple of minutes, then power on your computer. With no access to your main router, it will use the DHCP in the device to set the subnet mask and get an ip address. You can now use the browser to access the device.
Message 2 of 39
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

extender uses existing DHCP and extender has much less to do. I should pick up by the URL or check your main router for attach device listing and find the IP of the extender and use IP in browser to see if you can reach it
Message 3 of 39
pawnslinger
Tutor

jmizoguchi wrote:
extender uses existing DHCP and extender has much less to do. I should pick up by the URL or check your main router for attach device listing and find the IP of the extender and use IP in browser to see if you can reach it

Yes, the extender uses the existing DHCP... but oddly enough, this device has a DHCP built-in, and can use it when/if the main router DHCP is unavailable. I know, because I have done the procedure myself, that I outlined above. It is how I installed the extender when I first received it. Normally Netgear ships their routers/extenders/access points/etc with a different subnet mask than I have in use, so when I first tried to install a Netgear device, it was a challange.
Until I figured out what the problem was.
Message 4 of 39
EXTENDER
Aspirant

I KEEP GETTING THIS BELOW --------

Move Extender closer to your existing router or gateway.

The selected network is no longer available. Please make sure the existing network equipment is within the proximity of the Extender.

If you have Access Control List (ACL) enabled in your router, please make sure you have added below MAC address into your router's Access Control List (ACL).

The Extender MAC address is 20:4E:7F:9A:F1:BE
Your wireless adapter MAC address is 02:1B:2F:BB:45:E5
Message 5 of 39
atomheart
Aspirant

pawnslinger wrote:

Okay, I'm having the same problem accessing my Extender using www.mywifiext.net which keeps rerouting to the general netgear support site. Your subnet issue makes sense and is no doubt my problem.

Thru repeated full Extender resets and starting all over from the beginning, I am able to enter the www.mywifiext.net configuration menus UNTIL I select a router to connect to. The moment this connection is made, it seems the router's DHCP subnet immediately takes hold and contact with the Extender is dropped, consequently preventing further settings changes and any web access to the Extender again. Very aggravating!

Your alternative hard-wired access method sounds like it could work but I don't have an ethernet cable at hand to try it. And, some devices these days dont even have ethernet ports. I think I should be able to wirelessly access this unique subnet extender any time I want to make and test various settings tweaks. Maybe I can use the "route" command line to create a static connection between www.mywifiext.net and the Extender's internal subnet. Can you tell me what the default Extender subnet is?

Any other suggestions?
Message 6 of 39
hurnik
Aspirant

atomheart wrote:

Any other suggestions?

This worked for me:

www.mywifiext.com (not .net)
I think maybe NetGear has some serious typos in their manuals.
Message 7 of 39
dawleyd
Aspirant

Thanks Hurnik, that worked for me. mywifiext.net was working for me until I activated the Fast Lane option. For some reason, after I activated this, I could not longer use the .net link to access the router but your solution worked perfect. I like this device, much easier to use than my old Dlink 1522 bridge (I use the device mainly for the ethernet ports).
Message 8 of 39
DMcintos
Aspirant

I can access my WN2500 extender via the IP address, 192.168.1.2, but neither the .com or .net address. Both are set up to get their IP address from my ISP so I assume they're getting not only an IP address but using the same subnet mask, 255.255.255.0 - am I wrong?
Message 9 of 39
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Both are set up to get their IP address from my ISP

Not sure what you mean.
Message 10 of 39
Lotsokittycats
Initiate

I have the exact same issue (not being able to access that site) and, frankly, I'm tired of having to deal with something that won't work and that I'm having to spend countless hours trying to "fix". I'm DONE, NetGear! It's going back to the store TODAY!
Message 11 of 39
EAGLEFH
Aspirant

Log on to you main router what every it is and get the ip address for the wn2500rp extender. Use the ip in your web browers to log on to the extender instead of the www.mywifiext.net. The www.mywifiext.net didnt work, so i used the ip for the extender instead and it worked for me. Hope this helps.
Message 12 of 39
Fre
Aspirant
Aspirant

pawnslinger wrote:

I cant wire directly and don't understand all the subnet stuff
I have a linksys router and this netgear extender
Cant access www.mywifiext.net
Can somebody provide for wireless fix in very simple, step by step, English terms?
Message 13 of 39
KKM
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wholeheartedly agree!

I can't get to www.mywifiext.net to establish a connection.

It seems LOTS of folks have had this problem... Please provide a step-by-step solution that doesn't involve wires. The Smart Wizard ran once for me.... and I can't get it back....
Message 14 of 39
sleepless
Tutor

KKM wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree!

I can't get to www.mywifiext.net to establish a connection.

It seems LOTS of folks have had this problem... Please provide a step-by-step solution that doesn't involve wires. The Smart Wizard ran once for me.... and I can't get it back....

i understand the frustration
you can access the netgear by the ip assigned to it
when you set it up on your network a ip had to be issued or set to the netgear for it to talk to your existing router, depending how this ip was configured you can check the dhcp of the router and match the MAC address (on the bottom of the netgear) to your netgear and use that ip.
if was set static (ip was manually entered) check the router logs of the sending router and match the MAC address to see the ip
then take this ip and type it in the address bar of the browser that should get you into the netgear
Message 15 of 39
terryandsheena
Aspirant

Netgear WN3000RP – Connection Notes

1. Forget WEP security. The best system for the extender to connect to your router is mixed WPA/PSK–WPA2/PSK. Don’t use it? – try to change to it before you start.
2. The WPS connection has never worked for me, even to a suitably equipped NG router….
3. Follow the alternate instructions in the manual to “Connect using a web browser”, this mostly works the first time….. Remember, you must wirelessly connect to the extender as advised, to finish the initial connection. Don’t worry if everything doesn’t work first off – just get the extender connected to your main router/modem.
4. After this, you must be connected to the extender, or any attempt to go to the stated http://mywifiext.net may fail. This may also to be a problem with the extender software/firmware. This process appears much more reliable when these are updated to at least version – 1.0.1.34_1.1.46
5. To achieve this update, you must have been able to get the extender to link to your main router/modem in the first place.
6. Once this is done, find out the IP address assigned to the extender by logging into your main router/modem by entering its URL address entry in IE, and once in, searching for attached devices.
OR – Try logging directly into the extender via IE, by similarly entering your main router/modem IP address incremented by one eg if main = 192.168.0.1 - try 192.168.0.2 then 192.168.0.3 – and so on……. On a normal Wi-Fi system you may have to go up to .10
7. Once you find the actual IP address assigned to the extender, a window asking for input of an ID and Password will appear – Use admin and password (both case sensitive) When you are into the WN3000RP device, a configuration menu will display.
8. The first thing to happen, is that an invitation to upgrade the GUI and device firmware will be presented – if you haven’t done it since purchasing the device, you should take it. Follow the prompts very carefully, be patient!….. elsewise decline and go to step 10, but all further steps detailed here apply to extender Firmware ver. – 1.0.1.34_1.1.46.34_1.1.46
9. You may have to reset any or all devices on the way – Computer, Router/Modem, and Extender. Take it slowly, remember where you are, and THINK at each prompt.
10. Once all upgrades are complete, login to the extender again using IE and the extender IP address gained previously, and check its current “status”.
11. If any changes are still needed click the “setup” button and the click the “connect to existing network” button. Alter the listed entries as required.
12. To view the final settings click the “wireless settings” button.
13. Make sure the extender security is the same as the main router/modem! Forget WEP.
14. This method has consistently worked for me on more than 8 FTGU installs, but good luck!
Notes:
Once set up, the actual strength of the coverage areas of the main Wi-Fi router/modem versus that of the Extender can be easily visualized by using the free Android phone app. “Wi-Fi Analyzer” and setting it to “Channel Graph” mode. I’m sure that a similar Apple app will exist.

Terry Wilson - Sunday, November 18, 2012
Message 16 of 39
eyesoff
Initiate

For me, here was THE solution for Range Extenders that are unable to reach www.mywifiext.net or .com:

If you have created a custom name for your network during the set-up phase, you will not be able to reach the www.mywifiext.net (or www.mywifiext.com) page once you have completed the set up. As a matter iof fact, you probably didn't get the confirmation page after completing the set-up (even though your router still works as it should).

Unfortunately, I only know of one way to remedy the problem and it involves resetting your router. Here are the steps:

1) using a paper clip, pen or similar instrument, hold down the reset button on the router until the light flashes and the router reboots.

2) follow the set up instructions (connect to the NETGEAR_EXT, choose the network you want to extend, etc...) UNTIL -

3) when the screen comes up that proposes a new name for your extended network, delete it and replace with NETGEAR_EXT (and NETGEAR_5GEXT if you are using a dual band extender)

4) complete the rest of the set up as normal

Once the extender restarts, connect to it. Type www.mywifiext.net - and it should ask you for a user name and password. The user name is: admin. The password is: password (which is not terribly creative). It may take you to a page that requires you to enter them again (if so, it is the same user name and password).

That should get you where you need to go!

Once in there, you can change the name of your network to something better than NETGEAR_EXT if you like.

A couple of things that I'm not sure of:

- If you do choose to change the name of your network away from NETGEAR_EXT to a name of your choice, I don't know if you'll be able to get back into mywifiext.net after this time.

- During the set-up, you MIGHT be able to use the "proposed" network name that the extender suggests. I'm not entirely sure... However, I am CERTAIN that, if you use NETGEAR_EXT it will work. Remember, you just need to use it temporarily then go change it in the mywifiext.net settings if you want. Eee step #3.

Hope this helps!!
Message 17 of 39
superdlucks
Aspirant

Instead of the url, try this IP address: 192.168.1.250
Message 18 of 39
Borderline
Aspirant

Same here.
Just got it, and managed to connect, so the Repeater function works well.
I am unable to prevent my whole neighborhood using my WN3000 since I cannot log on to the admin page.
http#s do not work, .com or .net do not work.

Strangely, It looks like it is trying to log in to the ROUTER (which is not mine, it is an apartment complex one) not into the Repeater.

I do not have hardware internet plug in my laptop. 😞
Message 19 of 39
Borderline
Aspirant

DMcintos wrote:
I can access my WN2500 extender via the IP address, 192.168.1.2, but neither the .com or .net address. Both are set up to get their IP address from my ISP so I assume they're getting not only an IP address but using the same subnet mask, 255.255.255.0 - am I wrong?

Same problem with my WN3000
Message 20 of 39
curlysir
Aspirant

Easiest solution is to go to your router and check the assigned IP address and use that to connect to the Extender. The IP can change if you do not assign a static IP address to the Extender.

I believe the default is 192.168.1.250. I assigned this to my WN2500RP extender in my router so the address will not change.
Message 21 of 39
ehobart
Aspirant

For WN3000RP.....During setup, I kept the NETGEAR_EXT SSID (not sure if necessary). Once you have connected to your network through setup, you will be kicked out of the setup wizard. To get get back on to setup through www.mywifiext.net you must only be on the NETGEAR_EXT connection. Make sure to turn off your all other connections including the LAN. It worked for me after that. What a pain...
Message 22 of 39
crepemama
Aspirant

hurnik wrote:
This worked for me:

www.mywifiext.com (not .net)
I think maybe NetGear has some serious typos in their manuals.

This worked for me. You are a genius!
Message 23 of 39
KrispyKookie
Initiate

Since this post still seems relevant today, I'll add what I did to access mywifiext.net (Which basically makes it able you to configure the settings of your wireless extender).

When I was messing around in the Network and Sharing Center (Control Panel> Network and Internet> Network and Sharing Center) I clicked See full map, which in my case was for the wireless internet connection NETGEAR_EXT. Looking in there, I saw the entire network map. My computer was connected to the extender (WN2500RP) and there to a switch and others, but the switch was connected to another icon called WN2500RP. I simply clicked on that icon, which opened my web browser with an IP address, and it that led me to what the mywifiext.net would be!!
Message 24 of 39
jbjbjb
Aspirant

solution Re: Can't access Extender via www.mywifiext.net

Was having what seemed to be the same problem. The solution from Netgear's LiveChat (which actually worked!) was based on the fact that I have a WEP router, not WPA.

So I several times did a factory reset on the Extender. I could always connect to it initially via mywifiex.com or .net. For me, I would always lose access to mywifiext and all internet after I connected to the newly named router.

I used someone else's tip on here not to change the default name given to the Extender ([name]_2GEXT). Don't know if that would have mattered or not, that alone didn't fix it.

Then it asks for your Passphrase and generates 4 Keys -- for WEP systems, you put your wifi password in as Key 1, and don't click "generate."

I'm sure others know this difference for WPA vs WEP, I had no idea and it was not spelled out in the instructions that were with the product, nor those online. The LiveChat person said he was passing on the suggestion that this instruction be included -- otherwise I don't know how anyone with an old router is using the product?

Maybe this will help someone else and you can avoid the same problem -- good luck!
Message 25 of 39
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7