× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't get extension WiFi to recognise my WiFi password

vcx1
Aspirant

Can't get extension WiFi to recognise my WiFi password

I have turned it on, moved it away, then further away, all lights are on. When I look at my phone it comes up with the 2 WiFi extension options. I choose one/either and it asks for my WiFi password so I enter the 16 digit code, same as for my WiFi and it says password incorrect. I promise I have typed it correctly! What have I done wrong??
Model: EX6110|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Can't get extension WiFi to recognise my WiFi password

What router are you connecting it to? 

Did you set it up using wps? 

If so, factory reset the extender and install it using the installation assistant and not wps. 

Wps can sometimes get coded different (or poortly) and not connect right. So try it using the installation assistant. 

Message 2 of 11

@vcx1 wrote:
I have turned it on, moved it away, then further away, all lights are on. When I look at my phone it comes up with the 2 WiFi extension options. I choose one/either and it asks for my WiFi password so I enter the 16 digit code, same as for my WiFi and it says password incorrect. I promise I have typed it correctly! What have I done wrong??

Which "password" are you using?

The wifi and the router have different passwords.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 3 of 11
vcx1
Aspirant

I have a router from Vodafone. It has a password on the bottom..I don't have any other password. I have tried the WPS way and the assistant but I just get stuck when I get to the password. On the Extender there is a PIN. Is it this??
Message 4 of 11
vcx1
Aspirant

I tried the installation assistant and at the end it required passwords and so still didn't work. Now I can't seem to get to the installation assistant again it just goes to a Netgear Web page which doesn't help and certainly no sign of the model number I have.
Message 5 of 11

@vcx1 wrote:
I tried the installation assistant and at the end it required passwords and so still didn't work.

What installation assistant? A browser on a PC? An app on a mobile device?

@vcx1 wrote:
it just goes to a Netgear Web page which doesn't help and certainly no sign of the model number I have.

I'm afraid this doesn't tell us much. What "Netgear Web page"? What does it say?

Netgear devices should to take you to any "web page", which most of us think of as somewhere out on the Internet. You should arrive at the browser graphical user interface (GUI) for the device.

This is where you set up and control your extender.

Did you find the video on the support pages for your extender?

We still do not know what this vodafone modem/router is, so we can't tell what features it has.

Look all over it for a button with the label WPS. If you find it, press the button press the WPS button on the EX6110 and when ti start flashing press the WPS button on the vodafone thing.

With luck the two devices will see each other and set up a connection.

Message 6 of 11
vcx1
Aspirant

Thanks, the initial.set up works with my Vodafone WiFi hub model THG3000. Lights all on on the Nethear EX6110. The only issue, it seems is that the password is not being accepted. The netgear leaflet says "use the same WiFi password that you use for your WiFi router". I have assumed that this is the 16 digit WiFi password printed on the bottom of my WiFi router but this is the thing that doesn't seem to work. I don't know any other password. I am trying to link my S10 Galaxy phone or my Samsung tablet. Same problem. I have tried the 2 numbers you can see in the photo and also the PIN on the Netgear EX6110. Nothing.
Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

Might try reading a bit on the vodafone forums about that router. 

THG3000 Router Setup to TP-Link RE305 Extender - Community home (vodafone.co.uk)

Message 8 of 11
vcx1
Aspirant

You are correct. Vodafone does not support a 3rd party Extender. I definitely won't be renewing my contract with them when it finishes. Thanks for spotting the error!
Message 9 of 11

@vcx1 wrote:
Vodafone does not support a 3rd party Extender.

This does not mean that you cannot get your extender to work. You just have to ignore the standard setup routine and go for a custom process.

If WPS won't work, try something like changing the wifi settings in your modem/router.

This is not the first time that your problem has hit these places:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – Vodafone EX6110

Message 10 of 11
vcx1
Aspirant

OK. Though I am not technologically minded so I wouldn't know how to do this 🤨
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation