× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can the DG834GT router be used as a repeater?

MartinUK
Aspirant

Can the DG834GT router be used as a repeater?

Hi all,

Sky supplied me with a DG834GT router when I took their broadband package. Trouble is that I already had one of these routers which is now sitting there unused. The wireless network doesn't cover the whole house. Downstairs we are getting 10% signal strength on the PS3.
I realise we could do with a repeater. Question - can I use the spare DG834GT somehow or do I have to buy something else? If so does it have to be something like the WG602 or could it be any make, eg Linksys or Belkin?

Thanks in advance

Martin
Message 1 of 14

Re: Can the DG834GT router be used as a repeater?

Welcome to the forum.

Some of the Netgear routers are being upgraded for WDS. You will need to check the latest firmware version for the DG834GT. If it has support for WDS, you can get the setup to work. Without WDS, the other access point or router will have to be wired into the DG834GT. So the setup will not work.

Peace
Message 2 of 14
MartinUK
Aspirant

How can I check to see if it supports WDS? Assuming that both routers support WDS and that I can get them upgraded if necessary (how do I do this?) what then is the procedure for setting up the second router to lock into the signal of the first?

Thanks for your help

Martin
Message 3 of 14
s0uthpaw
Aspirant

Check the Feature list of the latest firmware online. Otherwise:

Upgrade your device's firmware by downloading the appropriate firmware from www.netgear.co.uk/product_support.php

Install by logging in to your router via http, and select "Router Upgrade" or some such option.

Once your router is upgraded, if it supports WDS it will have an "Advanced Wireless Settings" option within the web interface.

I would warn you that setting up a wireless bridge is not for the faint of heart. While it seems straightforward in theory, it can be heartbreaking (personal experience).
Message 4 of 14
imgettingannoye
Aspirant

i as well was wondering if the DG834T could be used as a repeater.. i just purchased a new DG834N and am using that as the modem as well as primary router and would like to set up the DG834T as a repeater.. i have followed all the steps people have said to follow
- disable the DHCP
- download the upgrade and enable WDS
- enable WDS on the DG834N and enter the MAC address of the second router
doesnt seem to work.. ive searched the options and took off the WPA password as NETGEAR says it won't work with that enable.. NETGEAR also said to try using the Trusted MAC Address page but this didn't help either.. i attempted to play around myself and found something about RIP (routing information protocol?) and set that so both machines were sent to accept and send it.. NOTHING is working.. if anyone has any ideas or has gotten this to work please let me know.. i've been working on this for approximately 7 hours today with my dad telling me i need to get it done.. please help
Message 5 of 14
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

make sure using WEP. I say you are using n-adapter with your N-router then I would ditch the the idea. WEP only works on B & G mode
Message 6 of 14
imgettingannoye
Aspirant

yeh.. well i disabled the security option completely and it still didn't work so i don't think the problem is the security
Message 7 of 14
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

imgettingannoyed wrote:
yeh.. well i disabled the security option completely and it still didn't work so i don't think the problem is the security
personally ,that is the combination I would not use but there is plenty of thread on similar DG to DG using WDS and wirelessly connecting scenario.
Message 8 of 14
imgettingannoye
Aspirant

i'm sorry i don't understand what you just said
i've been told i need to call netgear but i dont see that there is anything they could possibly tell me that i haven't already seen in the forums or their instructions that could fix this problem. it seems that it will most likely never work
Message 9 of 14
GLaDOS
Tutor

Sorry to say, but what you're wanting to do may be out of your ability. And I do not believe netgear will help, because that is out of scope, unless you want to buy a contract, and pay for support... 😛
Message 10 of 14
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

there is plenty thread you can search that you can learn from

I would search the thread since these DG to DG using WDS is popular questions been asked. spend some time search the thread. there might be not same but you will few that post some tips on how to setup that may apply.

Also not all model does works...
Message 11 of 14
Dannz
Novice

I'm using a pair of DG834N's with one as access point and the second as repeater. The set up seems to work ok. The configuration is detailed in the thread called 'DG834N as repeater'. The drawbacks are having to use WEP rather than WAP and slower b&g rather than n.
Message 12 of 14
vincentieo
Aspirant

Hi, after a lot of googling and a call the the tech department at netgear i learned this:

- No, it is not possible. Both devices in the bridge (WDS network) must have WDS mode (wireless bridging and repeating)

- if only one has this mode then it will not work without a wired connection (which defeats the point)

HOWEVER, make sure you have the model number correct because only the DG834GT in the DG834... series does not have this mode.

- DG834G v.2
- DG834G v.3
- DG834G v.4
- DG834G v.5

Will all work as they have WDS mode options.

(on a side note dd-wrt - open source firm ware for routers - is not supported by the entire - DG834G series so dont even bother looking.

I know this is an old post but someone will surely google onto it in the future so it is nice to have a definite answer.
Message 13 of 14
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

DG team has the firmware for DGXX

btw, this is 3years old thread.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7