× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can you use 2 wifi extenders at the same time?

StephenB
Guru

Re: Can you use 2 wifi extenders at the same time?

@Enmassa wrote:

many thanks for your reply

To clarify: I connect both extenders to the router first and then move them as needed (R-E-E) and the furthest extender would connect to the closest extender despite it was originally connected to the router?

Yes, if you are in one wifi name mode.  At least that's what I've been told by Netgear.  Definitely check the speeds through the farthest extender.

If you aren't in that mode, you use different client networks for each extender, and set the farthest extender to connect to the closest extender's SSID.

Message 26 of 35
shakeelq
Aspirant

Message 27 of 35
zoziano
Guide

Yes, you can use 2 extenders with a few caveats. Do not wirelessly connect one extender to another. Performance for the second extender will usually be unsatisfactory. Therefore, each extender should connect to the main router.

Message 28 of 35
ihawk
Tutor

You can, I have 3 extenders. 1 connected to the main 1 router and 2 daisy chained off with no loss of signal or traffic flow

Message 29 of 35
StephenB
Guru

@ihawk wrote:

You can, I have 3 extenders. 1 connected to the main 1 router and 2 daisy chained off with no loss of signal or traffic flow

If you aren't using fastlane with a triband extender, then there will be a loss of throughput.  However, your bottleneck might be your internet connection speed, and not your wifi.

Message 30 of 35
JimMaud
Initiate

Hi.

I need some help to get this working properly.

I purchased two EX7500-100UKS and I can't get this to work as people are describing here.

I have a long house and the ISP modem router is at one end of the house and very poor wifi at the opposite side of the house.

I have the ISP modem-router (NowTV - 192.168.0.1 both 2 and 5 Ghz are broadcasting the same SSID) the DHCP is configured to allocate IP from 192.168.0.10 onwards.

I setup the first extender (EX7500_1) with fixed ip 192.168.0.2 and all is working well.  I shut it off and configured the second extender (EX7500_2) with fixed ip 192.168.0.3 and again all is working well.

I moved EX7500_1 to a place in the middle of the house where the wifi connection to the NowTV router is still excellent to good and I moved the EX7500_2 to a place where the connection to the NowTV router is very poor but the connection to EX7500_1 is still excellent to good.  However EX7500_2 always still makes a poor connection to NowTV rather than EX7500_1 which is by far the strongest connection.

For the EX7500_2 to connect to EX7500_1 it has to be moved completely out of range of NowTV, and in this spot the connection to EX75001 works but is poor (red led) on 2GHz and no connection on 5GHz.

So my question is why is it always making a poor connecting to the NowTV router rather than the stronger EX7500_1 extended network?

I setup both the EX7500 in the same spot close to the main router, with only the main router switched on, before moving them, I used the smart setup feature in the browser.  I can see in the connected devices page that EX7500_2 only connects to EX7500_1 when it is completely out of range of NowTV, but I cannot work out how to resolve it.

Thank you.

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 31 of 35
carterd
Aspirant

I have two Netgear extenders (WN3500RP and ?) and a Nighthawk 8000. I get how people have set theirs up but bith extneders have the same URL for managment. How do you access one vs the other for management - once all three devices are live?

Message 32 of 35
Cathy_Snow
Aspirant

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 33 of 35
Rixter6969
Aspirant

I have a similar problem as shown above, I can connect to my first EX7700, but not the other (right next to my router.  I verified latest firmware version, did a factory reset, but can only connect to the first extender via WPS or the app.  In the App, see both extenders (connected to my R9000), but one of the extenders shows up as a white box rather than the icon.

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated. 

/RW

Screenshot 2022-07-31 at 10.07.25 AM.jpg

Message 34 of 35
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Rixter6969,

Thank you for reaching out. How are the 2 extenders connected o the R9000 router? Are the 2 extenders configured as wireless extenders or access points? Did you try turning off the working extender and just have the 1 extender( affected) connect to the main router and see if it behaves the same?

I am looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 35 of 35
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7