× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot connect my extended

Andi123
Aspirant

Cannot connect my extended

I had this extended working for a little while, then had problems.  Put it to factory re-set and tried to reconnect.  Set up instructions say to connect to 'netgear_ext' network (which I did), then enter 'my.wifiext.net' into a browser, but that doesn't work when connected to 'netgear_ext' as there is no internet connection.  Error message says 'you aren't connected to the internet'.  When I connect to my own wifi and go to 'my wifiext .net', I don't get the 'new extended setup' screens as it suggests I should.  My screen says 'you are not connected to your extender's wifi network', then lists models and set up instructions (although my model isn't on that list).  There are other set up troubleshooting tips but none seem to work.  

It's very possible I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure this out and it's driving me a little crazy!  Any help or suggestions are welcome!

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3
antinode
Guru

Re: Cannot connect my extended

> [...] Set up instructions say [...]

_Which_ "Set up instructions"?

> [...] then enter 'my.wifiext.net' into a browser, [...]

Read those "Set up instructions" again?  I don't see that dot in the
name suggested in the User Manual ("www.myXwifiext.net" without the
"X").

> [...] Error message says 'you aren't connected to the internet'. [...]

You don't need an Internet connection to talk to your own extender;
all you need is a connection to that extender.

> When I connect to my own wifi [...]

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/2109319

But, in this case, that message might be less useless than usual.

> [...] There are other set up troubleshooting tips but none seem to
> work.

Not a useful description of what you read, what you did, or what
happened when you did it.

Nice to see that this forum nonsense has not yet neen corrected:

The message body contains myXwifiext.net, which is not permitted in this
community. Please remove this content before sending your post.

Message 2 of 3
Andi123
Aspirant

Re: Cannot connect my extended

Thank you for your attempt to help.  And I agree that not being able to put that web address in here is odd.

I was not able to figure out the problem, but after getting irritated enough, I went over to Best Buy and they figured it out (a little by accident). Sharing the results here in case anyone else experiences the same thing. 

I tried connecting to the Netgear extender which was supposed to act as the wifi for the set up process but couldn't get it to connect.  I tried this set up process on 2 different laptops but it didn't work.  Best Buy figured out that it worked on my phone, so I came home and did the entire set up process using my phone instead of either computer and it worked. 

I have no idea why this happened, but at least I got it running.

However, I didn't appreciate not being able to get support from Netgear directly because it was after 3 months, and had to go back to the store to get them to help me figure it out.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7