× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot connect on 5GHz

atkinsonline
Aspirant

Cannot connect on 5GHz

Hi,
I have a DGND3700 router and just bought a WN2500RP to extend it. Both are are on latest firmware.
I went through the normal set up using TPS and it connects and shows the 2.4GHz connection. If I repeat the same many times, the 5GHz never lights up.
I know 5GHz is working on the 3700 because my iPad connects to the 5Ghz SSID and my iPhone connects to the 2.4GHz SSID.

I tried using the web interface to connect to 5GHz but it also fails to connect. I am certain the password is correct. I'm using WPA2-PSK (AES).

I am not using a wireless card access list.

My 2.4GHz SSID is called JOHNA-2.4G
My 5GHz SSID is called JOHNA-5G

Even though the 5GHz light is not lit on the 2500 and the web interface shows it is not connected, I see the following Networks on my iPad

JOHNA-2.4G
JOHNA-2.4G_2GEXT
JOHNA-5G
JOHNA-5G_5GEXT

If I connect to JOHNA-2.4G_2GEXT or JOHNA-5G_5GEXT and browse to the device I can see 5GHz is not connected. If I tell it to connect, it says it will take 2 minutes. I usually give up after 10 minutes.

Both devices are in the same room so it is not a distance problem - I hope.

In summary, no matter what I do, it will not connect at 5GHz.

A bit disappointed by this. I thought 2 new products from Netgear that support TPS would work flawlessly.

Any advice would be very welcome.

John.

Message 1 of 33
atkinsonline
Aspirant

In order to try to eliminate any unknowns, I have just factory reset both the 2500 and the 3700 and I get the same problem. 2500 connects at 2.4 but refuses to connect at 5GHz. Fails whether I use WPS or the web interface

John.
Message 2 of 33
bentanvil
Tutor

I am having the exact same problem. Is there anyone from Netgear that can help?
Message 3 of 33
bentanvil
Tutor

I am having the exact same issue
Message 4 of 33
Scubbie
Apprentice

Just in case, do you have a WiFi device that can see the 5GHz channels?

Install some like inSSIDer or Wifi Analyzer to view the signal strength from the location that you want to use the WN2500RP at to check the signal. The 5GHz signal is weaker that the 2.4GHz signal so it may not travel as well through walls and over distance.

Also I would actually set up the WN2500RP in the same room as the DGND3700 initially. This way you should be able to eliminate issues with signal strength.

Finally, which firmware versions are you using? There are already quite a few for the DGND3700 which are designed to fix various issues.
Message 5 of 33
bentanvil
Tutor

Hardware Version DGND3700
Firmware Version V1.0.0.17_1.0.17

Hardware Version WN2500RP
Firmware Version V1.0.0.26_1.0.54

I have both the router and the extender currently in the same room. The extender is picking up a signal strength of 94% for 2.4GHz and 82% for 5GHz from the router.

With my ipad I can connect to all 4 wireless networks

I have done factory resets on both devices to no avail. I have removed all security from the router and still can only get the 2.4GHz to connect. I have now tried WPA2-PSK (AES) with different passwords on both networks but still nothing on the 5GHz.
Message 6 of 33
bentanvil
Tutor

UPDATE: I have just done another factory reset to both devices and with no wireless security on I have been able to get the extender to connect to both bands. I will now try the process of elimination on the different securities.
Message 7 of 33
Scubbie
Apprentice

Ok, you have the latest full release firmware on the DGND3700. There are some Beta versions available if you want to contact Tech support.

I wonder if it is because of the WPA/WPA2 licensing issues? Just for the purposes of testing, could you disable the WiFi security and try connecting the two that way?

As for the signal strength, the difference is normal. Something to do with the way 2.4GHz and 5GHz work, essentially when pumping out both at the same strength, 5GHz will drop off before the 2,4GHz signal.
Message 8 of 33
Scubbie
Apprentice

bentanvil wrote:
UPDATE: I have just done another factory reset to both devices and with no wireless security on I have been able to get the extender to connect to both bands. I will now try the process of elimination on the different securities.

lol - I was typing my post when you posted this.

This confirms what I was starting to think. Basically Netgear needs to pay extra licensing money to connect two routers via WPA & WPA2. WEP will work but is limited to 54mbps on the DGND3700.
Message 9 of 33
bentanvil
Tutor

So I just changed the 2.4Ghz security to WPA2-PSK (AES) and I lost the connection. 5GHz stayed connected fine.

I am now going to follow your suggestion and see if WEP works.

If I can't use WPA2-PSK (AES) to connect the 2 devices I feel that these products are pretty useless together and that NETGEAR has lead me up the garden path.
Message 10 of 33
Scubbie
Apprentice

bentanvil wrote:
So I just changed the 2.4Ghz security to WPA2-PSK (AES) and I lost the connection. 5GHz stayed connected fine...

Just a small point, as I am loosing track a little. I though that you only needed either the 5GHz of 2.4Ghz to connect the DGND3700 and WN2500RP together. Unless you have specifically notice an improvement in throughput if both are connected simultaneously.

Are you able to connect to the WN2500RP using both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz all the time?
Message 11 of 33
bentanvil
Tutor

Right, I can't even connect using WEP. The only way I can now get the 2 devices to talk to each other is with NO security. No ideal at all.

Any other ideas Scubbie? Thanks for your advice so far! 🙂
Message 12 of 33
bentanvil
Tutor

Scubbie wrote:
Just a small point, as I am loosing track a little. I though that you only needed either the 5GHz of 2.4Ghz to connect the DGND3700 and WN2500RP together. Unless you have specifically notice an improvement in throughput if both are connected simultaneously.

I would like to have dual band connectivity, as want to extend both bands around my property for the multiple devices we have.

Scubbie wrote:
Are you able to connect to the WN2500RP using both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz all the time?

They only way I can get this to happen is if I turn security off on the DGND3700. To me it looks like the security options are causing the problem.

UPDATE: I just tried turning the 5GHz radio off on the DGND3700 and use WPA2-PSK [AES] on the 2.4Ghz but it still wouldn't connect on the 2.4GHz.
Message 13 of 33
Scubbie
Apprentice

The only other ideas I have are non-Netgear firmware and using a long length of Ethernet Cable. HomePlugs are fine, but most are limited to 200mb or 500mb and you have a 1Gbit LAN on the DGND3700.

During one RMA swap I attempted to connect the two DGND3700s that I have via WiFi and it was then that I found out the WPA2 didn't work. When I next communicated with Netgear I asked about it and it was confirmed that it had to be either WEP or no security.
Message 14 of 33
bentanvil
Tutor

Scubbie wrote:
The only other ideas I have are non-Netgear firmware and using a long length of Ethernet Cable. HomePlugs are fine, but most are limited to 200mb or 500mb and you have a 1Gbit LAN on the DGND3700.

The long term plan is to get a sparkie in to wire the house but that is probably a long way off.

Scubbie wrote:
During one RMA swap I attempted to connect the two DGND3700s that I have via WiFi and it was then that I found out the WPA2 didn't work. When I next communicated with Netgear I asked about it and it was confirmed that it had to be either WEP or no security.

Luckily I am out in the country so having no security isn't a major issue, just not preferred. I could use an ACL for wireless devices making it a little more secure than nothing at all. Did NETGEAR say if they are going to release a firmware upgrade to fix their issue with WPA2? Is it limited to the use of dual bands only? Bit of a cheek calling it a Dual Band Extender. They should call it a Unsecured Or If You Want A Little Security Expect To Have Slow Bitrate Speeds Dual Band Extender
Message 15 of 33
Scubbie
Apprentice

The access list would make it harder to log in, but any transmissions could be easily read, so I hope that you don't send any private stuff via the WiFi.

I got the impression that the WPA/WPA2 issue was to do with the router not the AP or Extenders. There are custom firmwares available for the DGND3700 now. I haven't played with them so I don't know if they would be of use to yourself.

The one I am thinking of (DG-WRT) is normally only for cable routers. This might not be suitable if you are using an ADSL connection.
Message 16 of 33
fedup2012
Aspirant

I also have the exact same problem.
Latest firmware on both the 3700 and 2500.
Netgear actullay replaced the 2500 and bingo same issue with replacement.
The 2500 sees the SSIDs for both 2.4 and 5 but it just wont connect at 5ghz to the 3700.
2.4 GHz is fine.

Have moved 2500 within 3 feet of 3700 and had all other devices off (all- Mobiles, PS3, notebooks, DECT the whole lot).

Problem was escalated to Netgear L2 expert, but this seemed to be a run around with me handing over full config and passwords for both devices and also asking for chipset and adapter details for each computer on network.

Issue is with 2500 connecting to 3700 and not computers connecting to either.

Product is a dud. 😞
Message 17 of 33
bentanvil
Tutor

I hear ya! I've had emails and phone calls from Netgear since posting a ticket to them in 21st June and still haven't got a fix out of them yet. They have replaced the 2500 and I have asked if they will replace the 3700 but no reply.

5 Months is not an acceptable time to be stuck with this problem. This is going to be the last time I buy a Netgear Product.
Message 18 of 33
stanvw
Aspirant

Hi,
I have exactly the same issue with security when connecting the WN2500RP to the DGND3700 with any type of security switched on. This is an issue on both 2.4 and 5Ghz options. It works if all security settings have been disabled but that is no option for me. I don't believe ACL is a workable solution as you would assume two Netgear products should work together without jumping through hoops. Any idea when this will be fixed with firmware upgrade?
Message 19 of 33
bentanvil
Tutor

No idea.

I have now been waiting on Netgear Support for 7 MONTHS an now all I am getting from them when I ask how the fix is going, is a generic email saying
We appreciate your continuous patience and understanding. This is to acknowledge that our team has received your e-mail query however additional time is necessary to effectively process your request. One of our support engineers will get back with you very shortly. Thank you for choosing NETGEAR.

Shortly my ass. I have NEVER had customer service this slow before. :mad:
Message 20 of 33
bentanvil
Tutor

Finally we have a solution!!! 😄

Netgear have finally replaced my DGND3700 with a DGND3700v2 and all of my problems have gone.

Both units now connect perfectly WITH security on BOTH bands. Looks like the issue was with the crappy v1.

I suggest anyone with this issue gets onto Netgear and get them to replace your v1 with a v2. It may take them a year to look after you, but that's Netgear for you.

Cheers for your help Scubbie. You were right all along. 😉
Message 21 of 33
Scubbie
Apprentice

Excellent result there.

Sadly it does take them a little time to resolve things though.

I did like the specifications of my DGND3700 (v1) but sadly it was let down by the internal specs in my case.

I haven't had a v2 to be able to compare the two. However you should like the new GUI. Do download the Netgear Genie app to your smart phone, if you have one.
Message 22 of 33
taimalan
Aspirant

I feel really good after reading all of the posts. I am not a total fool after all. I am the same as you guys. Have a N600 router and bought a WN2500 extender. Same prob no 5GHz. I went thru 4 email help sessions, was going nowhere telephoned Gearhead services, it was outlined at bottom of the emails. Was advised it would cost. Desperate I signed up for 6 months $90 Australian. The first consultant was on the phone with me for over an hour. Finally agreed the Extender was a dud. I swapped it at the Retailer. Installed new one. Same problem, the firmware forces the 5GHz to adopt some 2.4 GHz settings. Second Consultant could not effect a fix, so took over control of my PC, hooked the Extender to an old Netbook and I monitored my iPad. Exactly how he forced the setup is beyond me, but I finally have both 2.4 & 5GHz. In Australia best retail for Extender is $90.00. Fee for Gearhead is $90.00.
You guys are right, there is a huge dog in Netgear's kennel. It will take quite a bit of good PR for me to buy anymore of their hardware.
Message 23 of 33
Rocks065
Novice

Change your firmware on the DGND3700 back too V1.0.0.12_1.0.12
and it should work fine with both with WPA2-PSK (AES) working
Message 24 of 33
Rocks065
Novice

atkinsonline, Change the firmware on your DGND3700 modem back to version V1.0.0.12_1.0.12 and redo setup with security WPA2-PSK (AES) and awl should be good
Message 25 of 33
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7