× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot connect to wifi range extender

J2Bs
Aspirant

Cannot connect to wifi range extender

I have set up the wifi range extender, initially very close in same toom as the router. Everything lit up green.

I then moved it to the floor between the router and laptop I need the range extending/boosting to. The lights Router Link LED is green, and are the power and WPS LEDs.

This is a small 3 floor wood frame building. The router is on the ground floor, range extender on the middle fllor (directly vertically above the router), and my laptop on the top floor. I already have poor wifi on the top floor but bought the extender to increase the strength of the signal. The router is pushing c.70Mbs, but I only get c.5Mbs on the top floor.

When I try to connect to the 2GEXT or 5GEXT I am told my network password is incorrect, but I have typed it in correctly multiple times, and it definitely is not incorrect. I also do not use WEP network security.

The FAQ tells me that this means the range is probably border line, but it is not and all the lights are show it green, not ever yellow. This is the same when I place the extender twice as far away. 

Please let me know any advice on fixing this so I can use this product. Thank you!

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Re: Cannot connect to wifi range extender

Hi @J2Bs,

Try to reconfigure the extender by placing it next to router, connect devices and confirm internet access before you move extender to middle floor. Also, check for firmware upgrade for your extender before you move it.

Message 2 of 6
J2Bs
Aspirant

Thanks. I moved it right next to the router, but the same issue occured. 

I have registered the product but how do it check the firmware?

Message 3 of 6
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @J2Bs,

Please follow the below link to upgrade firmware. Inorder to login to extender, ensure your device is connected wireless to extender's network and try mywifiext.net or the current IP address of your extender.

https://kb.netgear.com/000045264/How-do-I-update-the-firmware-on-my-Nighthawk-X6S-Tri-band-WiFi-Rang...

Message 4 of 6
J2Bs
Aspirant

If I try this I just get this message "You are not connected to your extender's WiFi network" so I can;t seem to go any further. 

Message 5 of 6
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @J2Bs,

Are you trying to access it from a device which is connected to the extender? What if you try IP address of extender instead of mywifiext.net?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series