× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Computer connects to router but no Internet connection

hourman48
Aspirant

Computer connects to router but no Internet connection

i am trying to reconfigure my WN3000RPv3 WiFi range extender with the Netgear router i bought a few months ago. alwways seemed to work ok, but hadn't used it for awhile.

First I returned the extender to factory settings. when i try the first technique, connecting with WPS, I am able to get the Router Link light on but not the Client link light. when i try to connect my laptop or cell phone, nothing happens.

When i try connecting with my browser, it sees the extender's network name but as i try to connect it keeps saying i have to log in again; my internet center shows i'm connected but that there is no internet! this goes on until the computer automatically connects with my normal browser.

help!

Model: WN3000RPv3|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Re: Computer connects to router but no Internet connection

Do a factory reset exact as documented in the WN3000RPv3 User Manual, p.38 ff., "Return the Extender to Its Factory Default Settings*

Once done so, and the extender has rebooted, strictly follow the /WN3000RPv3 Quick Start Guide, p.8 ff. "Connect with Web Browser Setup "

Message 2 of 14
hourman48
Aspirant

ok - thanks for comments.

so of course i had done the default settings things from the get go.

i cannot get to a page on the web where it has the info from the quick start guide you sent me a link to, where i would have the option to click the new extender set up button. never happens. typing in the website excatly as on p. 8 on the quick guide, it takes me to the same page (which i've been dealing with all day) as with the instructions that came with the extender - where the only option is to click if you are doing wireless or connected. very frustrating; first i got the message you must log on (!) but then i did have a green light for the client link button on the extender nearly the entire time - only went off when it was doing the "applying your settings". and the whole process basically repeated.

Ultimately it said could not connect extender to my network.  

i was able to see this on my brower if it means anything:

WPA2-PSK [AES]

any other ideas?

thanks

@schumaku wrote:

Do a factory reset exact as documented in the WN3000RPv3 User Manual, p.38 ff., "Return the Extender to Its Factory Default Settings*

Once done so, and the extender has rebooted, strictly follow the /WN3000RPv3 Quick Start Guide, p.8 ff. "Connect with Web Browser Setup "

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@hourman48 wrote:

i cannot get to a page on the web where it has the info from the quick start guide you sent me a link to, where i would have the option to click the new extender set up button. never happens. typing in the website excatly as on p. 8 on the quick guide, it takes me to the same page (which i've been dealing with all day) as with the instructions that came with the extender - where the only option is to click if you are doing wireless or connected

You are saying http://www.mywifiext.net/ doesn't work?  Or that you are having a problem later on?

Can you post a screenshot of the page that is causing you problems?

Message 4 of 14
hourman48
Aspirant

yeah it wouldn't take me to the page specified that says "New" - just the older page from the directions that came with the expander.

but i think i've figured out the problem. The model expander is "N" signal while the new router i bought last year is "AC" signal - so i guess the problem is they can't communicate?

Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@hourman48 wrote:

but i think i've figured out the problem. The model expander is "N" signal while the new router i bought last year is "AC" signal - so i guess the problem is they can't communicate?

The 802.11n extender should still work with an 802.11ac router.

Though an 802.11ac extender would be faster.

Message 6 of 14
hourman48
Aspirant

well if that's the case i have no idea what's wrong. Although glad i didn't go ahead and buy a new AC extender when i was at Best Buy yesterday.

when i try to reconfigure the extender using my exisitng WiFi network, it always gets hung up on part that says "applying your setttings" or whatever the exact phrasing is for the final phase of the process. Throughout the process, the client link light blinks on and off - usually turns off around the time it's applying the settings. And as i mentioned before, the website it takes me to for the process never has that option to "click new extender setup button" - it takes me to the exact Netgear genie webpage shown on p. 9 of the installation guide that came with the extender.

when i try recongifuring it with first method, pressing the WPS button, i do get a green light on the router link, but am not able to connect it to my internet. it says "extender failed to connect with your internet."

Any other thougths?

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@hourman48 wrote:

Throughout the process, the client link light blinks on and off - usually turns off around the time it's applying the settings.

The extender reboots when it applies the settings, so the client link will turn off.  After it restarts, you normally have to connect again to the client network (using the network name and passphrase that you just configured).

After the extender restarts are you seeing a green router link LED?

Message 8 of 14
hourman48
Aspirant

No - when i try to reconfigure extender using the web browser set up option, it never gets to the point where the router link light turns green; that only happens if I try to reconfigure it using the WPS option.

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@hourman48 wrote:

No - when i try to reconfigure extender using the web browser set up option, it never gets to the point where the router link light turns green; that only happens if I try to reconfigure it using the WPS option.

Can you connect the computer to the extender's ethernet port?  If you can, try the WPS option again, and see if you can reach mywifiext.net (which won't require connecting to the extender's wifi, since you are using the extender's ethernet).

Once there, you can try re-entering the client network's passphrase or reset the SSID - then see if you can connect to the extender wifi.

Message 10 of 14
hourman48
Aspirant

thanks - i do have an ethernet cable so that looked promising. but to get to that website apparently i have to have credentials - a username and password. i tried entering the info i used to sign into this netgear community page but no luck. any thoughts on what i can use to sign in?

Message 11 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @hourman48,

You can try keeping a wired connection to the extender and do a factory reset. Once the reset is completed, you go through the manual setup procedure as described on page 8 and start on step 3 on the installation guide here.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 12 of 14
hourman48
Aspirant

thanks Dexter. So you are saying to keep the ethernet connection between the extender and my laptop plugged in when i do the factor reset, and then move on to the procedures starting on p. 8? just want to make sure i'm crystal clear! Since i tried the ethernet connection thing yesterday the light is still green for the router link!

Message 13 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @hourman48,

Yes, correct. If a reset is successful, you should be able to go through the manual setup. Meaning you'll be able to get a setup wizard walking you through the entire process of manually connecting the extender to the main wireless network.

Keep us posted on the results.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7