× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Configuration Question on Nighthawk EX8000

joker2008
Aspirant

Configuration Question on Nighthawk EX8000

Good Afternoon All,

Just purchased a Nighthawk EX8000 extender. The firmware is on the latest revision as I just updated it today as I was configuring it. I have a question about a possible setup I am thinking of doing.

I have Verizon Fios 1gb up and down and the Quantum Gateway is located in my basement. I do not want to move I have things there that are hardwired. On my first floor I have a CAT5 port which goes to my second second floor. My question is can I and would  there be any benefit to putting a Nighthawk on the first floor and then plugging it into the cat5 drop on my first floor pulling it out the second floor via the drop and having a second Nighthawk so that i could plug somethings into the second hardwire. One is this possible?

Two does the Nighthawk on the first floor have to be in Access point or can it stay in extender mode and if I have to put into Access Point mode can I still use the backhaul channel in order not to halve bandwidth? I figure the two nighthawks would give the best coverage in the house and allow me as I stated to connect somethings into the second nighthawk via hardline

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Configuration Question on Nighthawk EX8000

You could use 2 EX8000s.  The one on the first floor would need to be in extender mode.  If you use the existing ethernet drop to connect the two EX8000s, the one on the second floor would be in AP mode.

Message 2 of 5
joker2008
Aspirant

Thanks appreciate it.

With that I could still use backhaul on both so no halving right?

Message 3 of 5
joker2008
Aspirant

Also sorry almost forgot would it be the port on the far left or right as netgear doesnt have anything labelled on the ports.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@joker2008 wrote:

With that I could still use backhaul on both so no halving right?

Backhaul from the second floor to the first is over ethernet.  Backhaul from the first to the router is WiFi.

If you can run a second cable from the basement to the first floor, then you could set up both extenders in AP mode, and both would use ethernet backhaul.

@joker2008 wrote:

would it be the port on the far left or right

Any of them will work.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7