× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting to my router

Crampy
Aspirant

Connecting to my router

I recently got a new router from Sky and am having difficulty getting my Netgear extender to link to it. Using WPS I can get power WPS and Router link lights showing but no more and no effective signal extension. I cannot use an ethernet cable to connect it to my PC as the pC only has one ethernet socket and I need that to connect to the router. What should I do next?

Model: EX6150|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Connecting to my router

@Crampy wrote:

I have done exactly that. However on connecting to mywifiext.net I am told that I am not connected. 

Generally that means that you aren't connected to NETGEAR_EXT (or the extender's ethernet), but instead are connecting to your router's wifi or ethernet.

So if you are using ethernet, you need to move the PC cable to the extender's LAN port.  You won't reach the internet ,but you should still be able to reach http://www.mywifiext.net.  If your PC has both wifi and ethernet, make sure you disable the connection that isn't going directly to the extender.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The easiest path would have been to configure the network name and password in the new router to match the old one.  

Otherwise you need to reset the extender and set it up again.  The reset process is described in the manual here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX6150v2/EX6150v2_UM_EN.pdf

If WPS setup fails, then try resettng the extender again, but don't press WPS.  Then browse to www.mywifiext.net using the PC connected to the extender.   You should be able to complete the setup there.

Message 2 of 6
Crampy
Aspirant

Hi Thanks for this. I did connect using the WPS instructions from the manual, but failed to get a connection. I am stumped by the other method as it entails connecting the extender by ethernet cable to my PC's ethernet port. Unfortunately this is occupied by the cable linking my PC to the Router. I have to do this because I am unable to get a wireless connection! What alternatives do I have?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Crampy wrote:

Hi Thanks for this. I did connect using the WPS instructions from the manual, but failed to get a connection. I am stumped by the other method as it entails connecting the extender by ethernet cable to my PC's ethernet port. Unfortunately this is occupied by the cable linking my PC to the Router. I have to do this because I am unable to get a wireless connection! What alternatives do I have?

I think you are confusing AP mode with setting up the extender w/o WPS.

1. You reset the extender without pressing WPS.  You DO NOT need to connect the ethernet to the router.
  2. At this point the extender isn't connected using WiFi to the router either, so the PC cannot reach the internet.
  3. However, browsing to www.mywifiext.net on that PC will still work, because www.mywifiext.net is is actually the admin web ui of the extender itself.  It's not on the internet.
  4. Once you've done that, you complete the setup per the manual.

Don't overthink it, just give it a try.

Message 4 of 6
Crampy
Aspirant

Hi Stephen B and thanks for the very clear instructions.

I have done exactly that. However on connecting to mywifiext.net I am told that I am not connected. When I check the routere using 192.768.0.1 the extender is no listed as one of my connected devices. Is it possible that my AC1200 is not compatible with my new Sky router. The router is a Sky model ER115 firmware version 2.08.2406.R.

Model: EX6150|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Crampy wrote:

I have done exactly that. However on connecting to mywifiext.net I am told that I am not connected. 

Generally that means that you aren't connected to NETGEAR_EXT (or the extender's ethernet), but instead are connecting to your router's wifi or ethernet.

So if you are using ethernet, you need to move the PC cable to the extender's LAN port.  You won't reach the internet ,but you should still be able to reach http://www.mywifiext.net.  If your PC has both wifi and ethernet, make sure you disable the connection that isn't going directly to the extender.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7