× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Considering buying WN3000RP for my house

buncha
Novice

Considering buying WN3000RP for my house

Hello everyone,
im reading reviews on amazon and eventhough most of them are quiet convincing, yet im not sure if this product will help me. I live in family house which has 2 floor and 2 sub floors which means there is one more horizontal barrier more than in most homes. I am usin tp link TL- WR841N wirless router and it does not provide constant signal through the house. I mean when i do the speed test, at first speed is good, then immediately after i do test again and speed is terrible.. If i use 3000RP directly below my router, it is like 13 feet under where i get good signal on my laptop, will it provide good,constant signal in whole horizontal area at that part of the house?
Thank you all in forward
Message 1 of 3
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Considering buying WN3000RP for my house

As you seem to recognise, for a repeater to work well it needs to be in something of a ‘compromise’ position, that is it needs to be close enough to the base-station to receive a reasonably good signal while at the same time far enough away from the base-station such that it provides wireless coverage to distant clients. As a quick and crude test before you spend any cash, you could move the router to where you plan to place the repeater, and see if a PC at the distant location can receive its signal (you don’t need the router to be connected to the Internet for that).

Have you considered using Powerline products? These can use your mains wiring as a way of sending data around the house, one Powerline device close to the router and connected to it by Ethernet, and the other Powerline device can be anywhere on the same mains circuit. Powerline products can provide a WiFi connection at the distant location.
Message 2 of 3
RalphG
Initiate

Re: Considering buying WN3000RP for my house

I installed a WN3000RP wifi extender in my daughter's house with very good results. Her situation was a two story house with the router inside a wooden electrical panel box in the back corner of the downstairs story. Wifi was pretty good in the downstairs but was poor upstairs, not bad at the back of the upstairs in the master bedroom but only fair in the other bedrooms and almost non existent at the front where the kitchen, dining room and living room are.

With the extender located in the upstairs hallway about 2/3 of the way towards the back corner above where the router is downstairs the coverage throughout the whole upstairs is now excellent. I think as long as the extender is getting a "50 percent" signal it will do a good job.

The signal from the extender seems to be stronger, more consistent and more stable than the signal from her router. I was so impressed that I ended up putting an extender in my own house.

I found the WN3000RP extender easy to install.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7