× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Doesn't recognise router password

Racingsnake71
Follower

Doesn't recognise router password

I have successfully installed the WN1000RP booster to my router through WPS. My ipad and iPhone can now see my router with the EXT extension... But at the point I am asked for a password to join, I type in my router password (correctly - I have checked a dozen times!) but it says that my device is unable to join. I have followed WPS connection instructions explicitly.. PLEASE HELP!
Message 1 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Doesn't recognise router password

Use WPA2 on main router and connect the extender with WPA2 by scanning from the extender GUI.

Try connect IOS device wpa2
Message 2 of 11
Brannor
Guide

I have the same problem. Used WPS and it set the WN1000RP's name properly. My router is using WPA2 already.

my iPhone sees the WN1000RP just fine, but after the password, it also says it is unable to join.

Any other ideas of what to try?

Thanks always for your great support.

-G
Message 3 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

My router is using WPA2 already

use WPA2 instead
Message 4 of 11
Brannor
Guide

jmizoguchi wrote:
use WPA2 instead

Hi there. As I said, it is WPA2 already. I also tried an iPad as well as an Android tablet. None of them cold connect successfully.

Tonight I will try resetting it and using a laptop to manually configure it.

-G
Message 5 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Are you using same SSID name on WN1000RP's default xxx_EXT SSID name
Message 6 of 11
Brannor
Guide

Last night I tried using the WPS method and it auto-assigned the routers SSID + _EXT.

All the devices (Apple/Android) see the Extender and I've checked that the extender exists on the router, all seems ok.
Message 7 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Try setup _EXT SSID to the same SSID name as your primary wireless SSID. You may get get alert message but go ahead and do that and see if you can connect
Message 8 of 11
Brannor
Guide

I did a factory reset on the device. I then manually connected to it via my iPad, which initiated a login to the device followed by the option to use the Genie. I let the Genie do its thing and entered the passphrase. It connected to the Router just fine. After that, all my devices worked.

So something must have gone wrong with the first time I did the WPS.

System now working.

-G
Message 9 of 11
Xcellers
Aspirant

Well WPS is notoriously bad if you ask me, particulary with extenders, i have never had WPS working, but every single manual install has been successfull
Message 10 of 11
Fairytail
Virtuoso

You can try to check the steps given on the link below to setup your extender :

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20912
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation