× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EAX20 wireless output speeds

Dutchy7667
Follower

EAX20 wireless output speeds

I have a new EAX20 wifi extender. If I'm getting between 150-200 Mbps in to the front end of the extender, according to NightHawk app, what speeds should I expect on the 5Ghz output?

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: EAX20 wireless output speeds

Not sure  how you're testing this or whats going on exactly. 

Many things impact extenders. 

1. single and dual band extenders take a 50% throughput hit from what they recieve. This is because they have to go router----extender and then extender----devices (wireless)  and the chip can't do both at once. So your wireless devices will have a lower speed. If your device is hardwired in, it won't take that same speed hit. 

2. the router. its the backbone of the system. If its an AC router, the extender will only connect at AC speeds and not AX. And the EAX80 is only a 2x2 antenna device. so its highest AC connection is going to be the 866mbps

3. The device you're testing on is also a limiting factor. A 1x1 antenna device will only connect at half the speed as a 2x2 device. 

4. Environment and placement- your home is a key factor. certain materials block wifi better than others. As well as placement. To far away or if there's obstructing things in the way will impact speeds as well.

so its tough to tell you exactly what speeds you should get with limited info. I usually hardwire into an extender with a laptop and speedtest them in several locations to see which is best. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7