× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EAX80 Setup problem - no internet

Billaban
Tutor

EAX80 Setup problem - no internet

Trying to setup EAX80 with Verizon MIFI.  Tried two different MIFI units that are working fine and have internet connections.  When I connect the EAX80 the internet connection is not realized.  In each case the MIFI is working fine and I can connect directly with a laptop and get to the internet.  Using the Nighthawk app for setup.  Seems like this should work but clearly seems to be a systemic issue since I tried with 2 separate working MIFIs.  Any suggestions before I send the Nighthawk back to Amazon?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: EAX80 Setup problem - no internet

@Billaban wrote:

Nothing about a Installation assistant in the Nighthawk documentation.  I found it online but the instructions require a working internet connection to do:

Sure it is, you already discovered. Consult the fine Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi 6 Mesh Extender Model EAX80 User Manual and you find the  "NETGEAR Installation Assistant" on page 16 Connect with the web browser setup.

@Billaban wrote:

5 Enter (forum blocked URL) or 192.168.1.250 in the address bar of your browser.
The New Extender Setup page shows.

Follow all steps. It does start with this:

1. On your WiFi-enabled computer or mobile device, open the WiFi connection
manager and locate and connect to the extender network called NETGEAR_EXT.

This means using your computer or mobile associated with the factory default Wi-Fi on the EAX80.

If your EAX80 was configured before, use the reset button as shown on p.49.

EAX80 Factory Default Reset.PNG

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

did you try using the installation assistant? 

Does the mifi have ethernet out? Could always connect it hardwired in running in access point mode. It'll have a lot more power than the mifi's wifi

Message 2 of 10
Billaban
Tutor

The MIFIs do not have ethernet out port.

Nothing about a Installation assistant in the Nighthawk documentation.  I found it online but the instructions require a working internet connection to do:

5 Enter (forum blocked URL) or 192.168.1.250 in the address bar of your browser.

So that isn't going to get me anywhere since the root of the evil is I can't get a working internet connection via the EAX80.

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

You don't need a working internet connection to use the assistant. 

You start it at factory, connect to the extender, and when you enter one of those addresses, it takes you through the assistant. I do it all the time. 

Message 4 of 10
Billaban
Tutor

OK.  This sounds promising but I'm lost as to what "You start it at factory," means.  Can you elaborate?  Thanks.

Message 5 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@Billaban wrote:

Sure it is, you already discovered. Consult the fine Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi 6 Mesh Extender Model EAX80 User Manual and you find the  "NETGEAR Installation Assistant" on page 16 Connect with the web browser setup.

@Billaban wrote:

Follow all steps. It does start with this:

1. On your WiFi-enabled computer or mobile device, open the WiFi connection
manager and locate and connect to the extender network called NETGEAR_EXT.

This means using your computer or mobile associated with the factory default Wi-Fi on the EAX80.

If your EAX80 was configured before, use the reset button as shown on p.49.

EAX80 Factory Default Reset.PNG

Message 6 of 10
Billaban
Tutor

So after several factory resets and more than you want to read about I got it working.  Thanks for the guidance.  I'm modestly concerned that the whole setup (so far) has been flakey, e.g., several attempts to get expected behavior. 

What I really want to accomplish is setting up a mesh system for our sprawling old house and EAX80 was purchased to provide the required port (that I don't have w/ a MIFI) to facilitate the mesh hardware connection.  Is this going to work?  Any suggestions or comments?

TIA

Message 7 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Not convinced sich a MIFI mobile WiFi (in absence of an Ethernet port) can supply a longer time reliable and performing Internet connection, especially considering all devices are causing doubled traffic on the wireless. This barely makes a replacement for a normal Ethernet router in my opinion.
Message 8 of 10
Billaban
Tutor

So I'm not sure how this will work either.  Was going to get StarLink but the price has become just silly.  We live in the country.  Big house bed & breakfast.  Have two MIFIs here and another at an additional house on the property.  Have been using the MIFIs for years with few issues.  Occasionally a guest will whine about the bandwidth but I know I can stream video when needed and I know that some people aren't happy unless they have something to **bleep** about. More than a few years ago I worked fulltime remote as a S/W systems engineer and rarely had issues with my full tunnel connection back to the office using just a MIFI.

The EAX80 and mesh setup is more about coverage than bandwidth expectation.  The Netgear RBK753 is expected to arrive on Monday.  The experiment will continue.

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

You have a total of 3x mifi's? Thats a bit of an investment right there in monthly fees. 
Might be worth switching to starlink and getting a point to point system like netgear's airbridge to cover the whole property. 

The airbridge can connect the buildings and put a satellite in each for the wireless coverage. 

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series