× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EAX80 extender channel switching

trialcritic
Guide

EAX80 extender channel switching

I have an EAX80 connected to an RAX200 router. The RAX200 has two 5 GHz channels (60, 112). When I restart the EAX80 it uses the 112 channel, but switches to the 60 after a period of time. Is this due to the router or the extender? I don't see any options in the EAX80 to prevent this. Can this be prevented? 

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: EAX80 extender channel switching

The rax200 should have 2 5ghz bands. Channels 36-64 and channels 100-128 if you're using 160hz wide channels. 

Problem is that these both include dfs channels. 

It could be the RAX detecting dfs signals and having to switch off those channels (as required) and the EAX defaulting to one or the other.

Or it could be interference and switching to the other one. 

to get the rax to use the higher channels, you'd need to set the speed from "up to 4800mbps" to "up to 2400mbps". 

that'd allow it to use 80 hz wide channels and then you could use the higher 149-161 channel.  

Is it causing issues? Because you could always disable smart connect. Then you'd simply set the EAX to connect to the 5ghz channel you named. 

Message 2 of 3
trialcritic
Guide

Re: EAX80 extender channel switching

I changed the RAX200 to use the 2400 mbps. I found the channel switching problem in the extender occurred after 10 hours. There were no dfs issues.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7