× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX3110 doesn't actually provide internet to one device

IllFatedIPA
Aspirant

EX3110 doesn't actually provide internet to one device

I have an EX3110 extender that connects to my landlord's router on the other side of their house.  This is an inlaw apartment where internet is part of the rent, so I don't have my own router.  The Ex3110 takes the tenant network from their router and boosts it so I can actually connect my devices.

This has been working just fine for the year and a half or so that I've been living here, but one day the ISP had the internet down for maintenance.  Once the internet came back, I verified on my cell phone and fire stick that the internet was working again, but my laptop wasn't actually getting internet.  It connects to the extender just fine and says it has internet, but nothing actually loads.  It will just try for a bit to load websites, then eventually say there's something wrong with the connection, (either it took too long to respond or that the secure connection failed).

If I connect to the very weak signal directly from the router from a corner of my bedroom, I can access the internet just fine from my computer.  My cell phone and Firestick all continue to access the internet via the extender just fine as well. 

So far I've

A. reset the extender a couple times, setting it up from scratch,

B. restarted the network adapters on my computer multiple times,

C. done a network reset on the computer which removes and reinstalls the network adapters,

D. gone through my networking driver list manually and verified that everything is up to date while connected to the weak signal,

E. restarted the laptop itself numerous times,

F. had my computer troubleshoot the wifi adapter (couldn't find any problems),

G. made sure my computer is all up to date on the other software,

H. updated the firmware on the extender itself (see following paragraph)

Trying to access the extender directly through my laptop hasn't been possible once it's set up up until today. Previously, if I wasn't connected to the extended network which doesn't actually give me internet and try to go to the URL that lets you set up your extender, it told me I'm not connected to the extender's network.  If I was actually connected to the extender's network, it told me I had no internet connection. However, as of about 20 minutes ago, something changed and I was allowed to log into the extender directly and update the firmware, but it does the same thing where my computer will think I have internet, but nothing loads. Shortly after that, it has gone back to what it was doing before, where being connected to the extender's network just nets me the no internet connection message when I try to connect to a website or directly to the extender.

I'm pretty much out of ideas here aside from buying a new extender and hoping it works, so what would the community suggest?

Model: EX3110|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: EX3110 doesn't actually provide internet to one device

Hi IllFatedIPA,

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Thank you for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your experience with the extender. Please try to downgrade or use a different firmware instead. Please check the link below:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061572/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-WiFi-Extender

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 2 of 3
IllFatedIPA
Aspirant

Re: EX3110 doesn't actually provide internet to one device

Hi Oliver, I couldn't log into the extender to do anything aside from what seemed to be a fluke, so there was no way for me to do this in the first place.  I did however purchase a different brand of extender, so I suppose the issue is resolved for me.  Good luck to anyone else that has this issue and stumbles across this though.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7