× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6100 As Access Point Via POE

jmr674
Aspirant

EX6100 As Access Point Via POE

Hey Folks,

I have an EX6100 setup as a Access Point and I have the Ethernet cable connected to a TP-Link 500Mbps POE adaptor. The other end is about 30m away at the router end where the other POE adaptor is.

The POE adaptors are showing as connected to one another but when I access the configuration menu on the EX6100 it says that there is no internet.

Can anyone give me any tips as to why the EX6100 wouldn't be able to access the internet signal when the lights on the POE adaptor are showing as being connected to one another so there should be a signal there?

HELP!
Message 1 of 4
fordem
Mentor

Re: EX6100 As Access Point Via POE

It's not clear to me how you are using the PoE (power over Ethernet), and I'm wondering if you are in fact using PoE, or if you are confusing it with what is sometimes known as "powerline ethernet", or powerline networking Powerline networking is a method of networking computers by "piggybacking" the data over the AC power line that powers the computers, PoE is a method of supplying power to a device using an ethernet cable. The EX6100 plugs directly into a wall outlet, and as far as I know cannot be used with PoE - you could use powerline networking to connect it to a router, or network, and if that is in fact what you are attempting, you need to troubleshoot the powerline connection as the first step ... Do you have internet access at the ethernet cable connecting to the first powerline adapter? Do you have internet access at the ethernet cable connecting to the second powerline adapter? Only when these questions can be answered with a YES, can you start to look at the EX6100 side of the connection.
Message 2 of 4
jmr674
Aspirant

Sorry, you are quite right, I meant a POWERLINE Ethernet adaptor.

So the configuration I have is:

Netgear D6300 ADSL Modem / Router
Cat 5 Patch Cable from that into TP-Link 500Mbps Powerline adaptor.

Then 30m away I have.

Another TP-Link 500Mbps Powerline adaptor with a Cat 5 patch lead from that into the Ethernet port on the EX6100. The EX6100 has the manual switch set to ACCESS POINT and I can log into the access point via WiFi to configure same however it won't detect the Internet.

The lights on the two Powerline adaptors are showing that they are talking to one another over the power cabling.

Any ideas?
Message 3 of 4
fordem
Mentor

Like I said - start troubleshooting the powerline connection - yes I saw where you said the lines on the powerline adapters show that they are talking to one another - the question is - are they passing data. Do you have internet access at the ethernet cable where it connects to the upstream powerline adapter - if you don't - find out why & fix it. Do you have internet access at the ethernet cable where it connects to the downstream powerline adapter - if you don't - take it up with TP-Link - it's not a problem with the Netgear extender. Do you have internet access at the ethernet cable where it connects to the EX6100 - if you don't - find out why & fix it. Only when you have internet access all the way to the EX6100 itself can you start troubleshooting this as an EX6100 problem. Please be aware that powerline networking is notoriously unreliable - you're piggybacking data across power lines that were meant to transport power, not data, and those power lines also carry EMI/RFI generated by the appliances that are connected to them.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7