× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6100v2 AC 750 extender - picking up another extender's signal during setup

edav13
Aspirant

EX6100v2 AC 750 extender - picking up another extender's signal during setup

I recently bought an EX6100v2 AC750 Wifi range extender. When I plugged in the device and turned it on to begin setup, I opened the wifi connections options on my mobile device, and saw that my extender was picking up the signal of a neighbor's extender. That I couldn't connect my extender to my own wifi network and begin setup. Any ideas on how to fix this? 

Model: EX6100|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: EX6100v2 AC 750 extender - picking up another extender's signal during setup

I guess i'm confused.

If you're able to connect to your extender, during setup you choose which wifi it connects to. 

and if you couldn't connect to it, how did you know it was picking up a different wifi? 

Message 2 of 4
edav13
Aspirant

Re: EX6100v2 AC 750 extender - picking up another extender's signal during setup

Apologies for the confusion! Per the instrution manual, I plugged the extender in and waited for the power LED and WPS LED lights to turn solid green.

Then, following the instructions for connecting with the NETGEAR Installation Assistant, I open the WiFI connection manager on my mobile device, looking for the extender network called NETGEAR_EXT. 

What I see, however, is a password-protected network called CannerManorEXT. (Please see the first attached screenshot below.)

When I turn off and unplug the extender, that network disappears. 

This is a brand-new extender, which I have never set up before, much less had connected to any network in my home. Furthermore, CannerManorEXT is not a network set up in my home. 

So it would seem that CannerManorEXT is a network set up in a neighbor's home, using their own extender, and that appears to be blocking my ability to connect to my own extender. 

I hope that clears up the confusion! Any help you might be able to offer would be immensely appreciated. Thank you! 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Maybe it was a returned product and the person just did a great job of re-sealing the box. Not unheard of.

try factory resetting it. push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while powered on. the lights should change when held long enough. 

then you should be able to proceed with a normal setup. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7