× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6120 connecting to a WiFi Antenna

KasKelly
Tutor

EX6120 connecting to a WiFi Antenna

I have a wirreless router in the house and need to get WiFi signal into the detached garage.  Problem is our garage is  - double wall steel  w/ insulation in the middle.  Nothing get through!!  I purchase theNetgear EX6120 - AC1200 dual band WiFi extender.  Still had the problem of getting the signal into the garage in order for the extender to work.  I then purchased a WiFi Antenna (Tupavco - Model TP542)  Got that mounted and hardwired to the extender.  Still no signal.  What am I doing wrong?  

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: EX6120 connecting to a WiFi Antenna

@KasKelly wrote:

.  What am I doing wrong?  

what you're doing wrong is trying to get a signal through steel. double walled at that. 

Its one of the top blockers of wifi. 

Options? 

1. drill through it and run ethernet out to the garage

2. use powerline adapters to get out to the garage

3. use moca adapters (ethernet over coax)

You can keep trying at getting a signal through it but it isn't an issue of the devices but an issue of wifi doesn't broadcast through steel 

Message 2 of 5
KasKelly
Tutor

Correct - about trying to go through steel.  That is why I got the WiFi antenna.  It is mounted on the outside of the garage and the hardwire goes into the garage and plugged into the extender.  The antenna is actually line in site of the wireless in the house.  So it should have a very good signal. 

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

so the Extender is in the garage with the antenna in the home? (going through the wall)

It'd mean there isn't any antenna's in the garage to broacast. If you hardwire a pc/laptop into the extender, does it work? It'd also let you check the connection back to the router. 

Message 4 of 5
KasKelly
Tutor

@plemans   Yes, the extender is in the garage w/ it's antennas on it still in tact.  Then hard wired to the extender is the antenna that is outside (via a drilled hole in the walls).  So there is an antenna (the extender) that is broadcasting the signal in the garage.  

I checked all of the connectors and found an issue w/ one.  Got that corrected.  Now I do have all the lights on the extender green.  Including the one saying connected to the router.  I was able to get a signal to my phone via that signal.  So I believe I have the problem solved.  I do appreciate your assistance.  It allowed me to rethink my process and arrive to a solution.  Thanks for your time and consideration. Kas

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7