× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[EX6150v2] Drops WiFi connection in both AP & Extender modes

ldm1417
Aspirant

[EX6150v2] Drops WiFi connection in both AP & Extender modes

Hi All,

I have the EX6150v2 - Range Extender + Access Point (device can work in both modes).

In both modes (Range Extender and Access Point) the device drops the WiFi connection each 30-40min.

I tried to configure it in different modes (in FastLane mode, 2.4GHz only mode) - no way, it continues with dropping the connection.

Just to exclude an environmental issue, I connected the TP-Link AP to the same router port and placed it in the same place as my device. The TP-Link AP doesn't drop the WiFi connection for many hours. So, it seems this is no an environment or interference issue. It seems the issue is in the device itself or in its configuration.

What should I do now? Should I return the device? I don't think it's acceptable it drops Ethernet connection in AP mode... After dropping the connection, the devices can get be re-connected in a few seconds, but for my application its very important that the connection will be continuous, without drops.

Thank you!

Model: EX6150|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: [EX6150v2] Drops WiFi connection in both AP & Extender modes

@ldm1417 wrote:

I don't think it's acceptable it drops Ethernet connection in AP mode...

Are you saying that when the EX6150v2 is an AP mode, that it's ethernet connection to the router is dropping?

I guess it's possible that there is a marginal ethernet cable or router LAN port, so you could try a different port and a different cable.  If it's easy for you to swap them, then maybe try that next.

But if you are also seeing wifi connection drops in extender mode, then that points towards the EX6150v2 hardware.  Have you looked at the router during the connection drop/restore?  I'm wondering if it is rebooting???

If the extender is newly purchased, I'd see if you can exchange it with the seller.  If that's not possible, you could check the warranty and perhaps RMA it at my.netgear.com.

Message 2 of 4
ldm1417
Aspirant

"Are you saying that when the EX6150v2 is an AP mode, that it's ethernet connection to the router is dropping" - correct

"you could try a different port and a different cable" - the TP-Link AP, which is connected to the same port with the same cable works without problems.

Should I purchase a support service in order to send email to Netgear Support? What's their email so that I'll be able to send them a message regarding this issue?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@ldm1417 wrote:

"you could try a different port and a different cable" - the TP-Link AP, which is connected to the same port with the same cable works without problems. 

Yes, I saw that.  I've also seen cases where a cable or a switch port will fail with some devices but work with others. So try a different the switch port at least, and if you have another cable test that too. It's free to try, so why not?  

@ldm1417 wrote:

Should I purchase a support service in order to send email to Netgear Support? What's their email so that I'll be able to send them a message regarding this issue?

If you can still exchange the extender with the seller, I'd do that first.  Netgear support can be hard to reach.

If you want to try support, then register your product (if you haven't already) then go to this link: https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/portal/myOnlineTicket.aspx  Click on "get help with my NETGEAR product".

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7