× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7000 Access Point built-in ReadyDLNA server keeps reinstalling itself as a new devicein Windows 10

Retired_Member
Not applicable

EX7000 Access Point built-in ReadyDLNA server keeps reinstalling itself as a new devicein Windows 10

I'm really only noticing the issue on my Windows 10 PC. In the Bluetooth & Other Devices Windows settings page the list of "Other devices" lists the ReadyDLNA: EX7000 many times. The list keep growing with ReadyDLNA: EX7000 "not connected" devices. After a week, it can be 10 or 15 listings of the same device. What's going on here and how do I fix it?

My EX7000 running firmware version: V1.0.0.62_1.0.122 is running in access point mode, connected to a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-X that provides internet connection from my wireless ISP. I've reserved the extender's ip address in the router's DHCP, but I've left DHCP enabled in the the extender's configuration so it "refreshes" the connection when I power cycle, but keeps the same address. I've enabled miniUPNP in secure mode in the router as well (matching incoming/outgoing port mapping only).

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: EX7000 Access Point built-in ReadyDLNA server keeps reinstalling itself as a new devicein Win...

Hi @Retired_Member,

Welcome to the community!

1. Does the issue persist on all your Windows PC's wherein it appears multiple times?

2. Does the issue persist when used in extender mode?

3. Have you tried resetting the extender?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: EX7000 Access Point built-in ReadyDLNA server keeps reinstalling itself as a new devicein Win...

I only have one Windows 10 Pro PC that I can keep in my network environment long enough to notice the issue. I've got  permission from the owner of a Windows 10 Home PC to connect their computer to my network to see if I can replicate the issue/solution and am configuring it now as I type this, but I won't have any conclusive results from this test for at least 24 hours I'd say. Since my original post, I've set a static IP address in the extender configuration to the DHCP reserved address. I can't confirm or deny that this has fixed the issue yet though (hasn't been quite long enough). 

I've previously used the extender as an extender with readyshare and readyDLNA enabled, and the same issue was happening. I've factory reset, tried rolling back the firmware, but the issue persists. It's as if each time my computer connects to the ReadyDLNA server, it thinks it's an entirely new device. I can only check the uuid on the current and active dlna server, so I've logged the current one and I'll watch for changes. 

I've noticed that everything connected to the extender appears on my dhcp server with a changed MAC address, or virtual one. I can't remember how the extender calculates these, but I was just throwing a line out, wonder if the issue may be related to this in some way? Does each devices virtual MAC stay the same or is it dynamic somehow?

Message 3 of 8
Larry357
Aspirant

Re: EX7000 Access Point built-in ReadyDLNA server keeps reinstalling itself as a new devicein Window

To configure your EX7000 as an Access Point:

1. Connect your router using an Ethernet cable to any available Ethernet ports of your EX7000.
  2. Use your Wi-Fi network manager on your wireless computer or any Wi-Fi device to connect to the NETGEAR_EXTnetwork.
  3. Once connected, the Device to Extender LED  will turn to solid green.
  4. Open your internet browser such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome.
  5. Enter in the address bar of your internet browser.
  6. Click NEW EXTENDER SETUP.
  7. Complete the Extender Setup screen and click NEXT.
  8. Click Access Point and the setup is now going to check for an internet connection.
  9. Set the network name (SSID), security option, and passphrase (network key). Click Next.
  10. After applying the settings, connect your devices wired or wirelessly to the EX7000's new SSID and click Continue. 
  11. Click Next to finish the setup.

Your EX7000 is now properly configured as an Access Point. mybkexperience survey

Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: EX7000 Access Point built-in ReadyDLNA server keeps reinstalling itself as a new devicein Window

Thank you, but that is not the topic I'm discussing on this thread. 

Message 5 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

**UPDATE** 

I've already got two entries on the Windows 10 Home test rig. I've started logging the uuid's and MAC addresses have remained unchanged between device entries. I'm at a complete loss. I can still use all the features, I need, FTP, DLNA, Readyshare; but something is obviously configured incorrectly.

Message 6 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

* * *    UPDATE    * * *

I've figured out which event causes a new instance of readyDLNA to register in Windows. Every time I reboot the extender, a new entry of ReadyDLNA is added to my devices list in the Windows settings app on both Windows 10 machines. Still no solution, but maybe somebody with more knowledge in Netgear specific implementations can be of assistance.

Message 7 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Retired_Member,

Thank you for the update. I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7