× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7500 Range extender drops connections

ajmboy
Aspirant

EX7500 Range extender drops connections

I've seen multiple posts regarding this topic but no real solutions. Unplugging the extender and plugging it back in seems to reset it. The issue is that devices are connected to the extender but it loses internet connection to the router. The extender should be running a check and then reset its connectionon its own.

I'm running a verizon router with wifi off. This is for my cable primarily. One of the 4 ports is going to my R7450 Nighthawk AC2600 Dual Band router. I'm not using smart connect, MU-MIMO is on, and have both 2.4 and 5 ghz are on. The EX7500 extended is a triband and I'm using both 2.4 and 5 ghz with teh same SSID as the router. I have 3 of them. 

Any time we get a power outage or randomly, the extender loses connection. The idea of running these in mesh is to use the same SSID, but why do these extenders lose connectivity to the router? Is it the router? Is it the firmware? They're upgraded to the latest.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7500 Range extender drops connections

I just want to clarify.

You're going verizon router (wifi off)------>R7450----->EX7500?

Is the R7450 in router mode or AP mode? 

Message 2 of 7
ajmboy
Aspirant

Thanks for replying. Yes, Verizon router (wifi off) > R7450 (in router mode) > EX7500.

I'm using the 4 ports on the verizon router and 4 ports on the R7450 also, but just ordered an unmanaged 8 port netgear switch to try and was thinking maybe running the R7450 in AP mode.

My issue is that the EX7500 holds the device connections but those devices can't get online because it loses internet to the R7450, yet lights are all blue. I did notice last night after I unplugged my EX7500, my R7450 router would not connect my iphone but was fine with other devices. I have around 25-30 different devices (mostly smart switches and plugs). I figured the EX7500 would help with more connections.

I'm also contemplating using a different SSID for my EX7500, but I bought the extender and the router, to MESH it all under one SSID.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

You can switch the R7450 to ap mode and still use the the ethernet ports. right now you're running in a double nat which can certainly cause your issues.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

I'd switch the nighthawks mode. 

Message 4 of 7
ajmboy
Aspirant

So I swithed to AP mode. Found out that the nighthawk app loses Guest wifi, and some features when in AP mode and all device names don't get picked up, they are "unknown". However, seems to stay connected at the router so far. My EX7500 extenders still randomly drops connection to the router, which is odd. I've been testing for a week now. Picked up two more EX7500 units from ebay and now have 3. 1 seems to work, 1 seems to be intermittent, and original one just loses connection all the time. Trying to run the same SSID, but I think the extenders want to connect to each other and it gets all funky. I may test with one SID to the router and extenders all with a different SSID so they can't connect to each other. 

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Whenever people need more than 1 wireless extender, I usually recomend that they switch an actual mesh system. The wireless extenders with mesh work well but not when there's more than 1 on the network. If you're doing that, its best for each extender to have its own ssid or you'll have issues. Kind of like you're having now. they end up connecting to each other and end up either in a loop or with slow speeds/high latency because of the extra hops to get back to the router. 

You do lose features in AP mode

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

If you can figure out how to get your verizon box in passthrough/modem only mode, then you can run the Netgear in Router mode. Usually the best way for that is to contact verizon as they'd be the expert in their device.

Try  setting up the extenders with individual ssids. If the one is still having issues, try downgrading it a version and factory resetting. maybe its got issues with the most current firmware. 

Message 6 of 7
ajmboy
Aspirant

Thanks! I will contact verizon and see about that. If I set up all the extenders to broadcaast the same SSID and the router to connect to and broadcats a different one, the extenders will only be able to connect to the router, instead of each other. 

Honestly, the EX7500 is marketed as a mesh extender which is why I bought them: https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX7500.aspx

They should update them to only connect to a router product code or something like that so they don't try to daisy chain to each other.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7