× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7700 extender causing issues with R7800 router and Android client

Weezulguy
Aspirant

EX7700 extender causing issues with R7800 router and Android client

Just installed an EX7700 range extender to help push my Nighthawk R7800's signal further out in our yard. Everything seemed to be working great for several hours, then I started noticing some dropout on streaming over my Firestick as well as slower speeds on my Android 12 phone. I unplugged the extender, and even with it off my phone keeps falling back on to the 2.4 connection sporadically throughout the day. I've rebooted everything, made sure no changes were made on the router itself, really confused on what's going on at this point. Router has always been set up with Smart Connect enabled and have never had any issues with bands for anything before. My phone shows 'Connected via Nighthawk' and the wife's just says Connected by the way.
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7700 extender causing issues with R7800 router and Android client

When using smart connect, the devices themselves (phone/tablet/etc) determine which device/band to connect to. 

One thing I would recommend trying is reinstall the ex7700. During the install process, uncheck "extend 2.4ghz signal". 

You still are able to use its 2.4ghz signal but it doesn't use it as failover for the 5ghz and it puts the 2.4ghz on a different band. This helps reduce interference on the 2.4ghz band. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is loaded on the EX?
What is the Mfr and model# of the main host router the NG extender is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and extender(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using on the main host router? 

Is Smart Connect enabled on the R7800? 

How is Advanced Wifi Settings configured? 

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

When using smart connect, the devices themselves (phone/tablet/etc) determine which device/band to connect to. 

One thing I would recommend trying is reinstall the ex7700. During the install process, uncheck "extend 2.4ghz signal". 

You still are able to use its 2.4ghz signal but it doesn't use it as failover for the 5ghz and it puts the 2.4ghz on a different band. This helps reduce interference on the 2.4ghz band. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7