× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX8000 backhaul options

lemmy999
Guide

EX8000 backhaul options

I have a dual band R7800 (AC2600) roouter.  I was considering purchasing an EX800 but had a couple of questions that I can't find the answer too.  

1.  I know if I had a tri band router then one of the 5GHz channels is used for backhaul and then I have full use of the other 5GHz and the 2.4Ghz channels.  But since I have a dual band router, how does it work?  Is the 5GHz not available to my devices or would that single 5Ghz channel be shared with backhaul and connections to devices?

2. I am pretty sure wired backhaul isn't possible with the EX8000 (which is dissapointing, especially since I have a dual band router), but I have read that a wired connection back to the router is an option in AP mode and that I can configure it to have the same SSID as the router.  So how would this differ from a mesh extension with the EX8000 in extender mode.  If I had a wireless device connected to the router would it seamlessly move to the EX8000 when I moved away from the router and behave like a mesh network?

Thanks.  

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 10
arunkmony
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: EX8000 backhaul options

@lemmy999 wrote:

I have a dual band R7800 (AC2600) roouter.  I was considering purchasing an EX800 but had a couple of questions that I can't find the answer too.  

1.  I know if I had a tri band router then one of the 5GHz channels is used for backhaul and then I have full use of the other 5GHz and the 2.4Ghz channels.  But since I have a dual band router, how does it work?  Is the 5GHz not available to my devices or would that single 5Ghz channel be shared with backhaul and connections to devices?

@lemmy999 - Nighthawk Mesh works with dual-band and tri-band routers. The third band from EX8000 will always be dedicated to connect to the router so the extender does not need to cut its bandwidth in half. The router may however have to share the 5GHz between its connected devices and the extender backhaul. Even in this case, the performance should be significantly better than having a shared backhaul. 

2. I am pretty sure wired backhaul isn't possible with the EX8000 (which is dissapointing, especially since I have a dual band router), but I have read that a wired connection back to the router is an option in AP mode and that I can configure it to have the same SSID as the router.  So how would this differ from a mesh extension with the EX8000 in extender mode.  If I had a wireless device connected to the router would it seamlessly move to the EX8000 when I moved away from the router and behave like a mesh network?

@lemmy999 - In AP mode you can configure to have Same SSID and password as router and enjoy all benefits. Smart Roaming is supported and you also get three bands on your extender WiFi available in AP mode. 

Thanks.  

Message 2 of 10
lemmy999
Guide

Thank you for the response.  

So there is no difference in functionality (regarding smart switching between the router and the EX8000 for my devicesssss) when using the    EX8000 in AP mode (same SSID and password as router) with wired backhaul to the router versus using the EX8000 as a mesh extender with wireless backahual?

Message 3 of 10
arunkmony
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, it should work fine.

Message 4 of 10
rccolata77
Aspirant

I connected my ex8000 to my  r7900 router which is also triband.  In extender mode, I can connect to  either a 2.4 Ghz band or a 5 GHz band.  However, the R7900 has two 5GHz channels.  One which is channel below 60 and the other is above channel 160 or something.  It recommends connecting to above 161 or something and not the below 60 channel.  If I connect the backhaul channel to the below 60 channel at 5GHz, then I can get up to 1733Mbps and the back channel is limited to below 866Mbps.  If I connect to the above 161 channel, then my back haul is limited to 1733 Mbps and my wifi on the extender is limited to 866Mbps.  This is what it says on my setup.  If it is true that I can use a ethernet to setup an access point and get three bands of wifi, this will be great.  I don't have ethernet long enough but can get a 2000 Netgear powerline adapter to use as the backhaul ethernet.  I hope this works.

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@rccolata77 wrote:

If it is true that I can use a ethernet to setup an access point and get three bands of wifi, this will be great.  I don't have ethernet long enough but can get a 2000 Netgear powerline adapter to use as the backhaul ethernet.  I hope this works.

You could do that, but I wouldn't.  The real-world performance of Homeplug AV2 (used by the 2000 powerline products) is 200-350 mbits (and can often be less).  So you would likely end up with worse performance.

I'd go with the 5G-2 radio for backhaul (high channels), since in my experience it will have a bit more reach.  Also,  if you are using the EX8000 ethernet ports for local devices, you'll want the higher backhaul speed.

Message 6 of 10
StanP50
Tutor

I have recently install and EX8000 into my network, and it has proven to be excellant. I have it pushing wifi in my ground floor studio, while the Nighthawk X6 R8000 router is in my third floor office, the coverage is outstanding all thoughout the house and into the yard. A couple of things I have found which might help. If your router in only dual band, then you'll most liley only want to set it up as an extender not an AP. As an extender you'll only get two bands 2g and 5G wireless to push, the third 5g band is not available, and your only access will be through a wireless connection. I have it configured as an AP to be able to take advantage of all three bands, 2G, 5G-1 and 5G-2, and as such am able to gain access both wireless and wired to the UI via the IP.

In doing so I have been able to set all of my streaming connection (FIreTV sticks) to the 5G-2 band, my home plugs, switches, and thermostates on the 2G band and all cell phones onto the 5G-1 band. All bands carry the same SSID names as the bands on the R8000 and therfore have a total mash configurations, Single strength is great and have not seen any dropouts or disconnects so far.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Thx for sharing your experience.

@StanP50 wrote:

If your router in only dual band, then you'll most likely only want to set it up as an extender not an AP.

Generally speaking, if you have gigabit ethernet at the extender's location, you should always set it up as an AP.  There is no downside in doing that.

Message 8 of 10
ironmanco
Tutor

Except if you set it up as an AP then you lose the mesh capability IIRC. In other words, if you have an R8000 and extend it with a EX8000, and you set the EX8000 up in AP mode, then I believe you can't have it mesh between the R8000 and EX8000.  I'm looking to do something similar by running multiple EX8000 with a single R8000 all broadcasting the same SSID and able to hand off to each other...AND backhaul to the E8000 via ethernet.

Message 9 of 10
lemmy999
Guide

From what I understand you do not lose mesh functionality if you wire the EX8000 to the router and set it in AP mode with the same SSID.  My friend has a duel band router wired to the EX8000 with the same SSID and he gets mesh functionality.  That was actually my original quesiton and the responses and my friends experience seem to suggest you can. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7