× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ex6150 Ac1200 access point disconnecting

Hamster244
Aspirant

Ex6150 Ac1200 access point disconnecting

Hi here I have purchased the ex6150 WiFi extender as I have a virgin media superhub but the location isn't great for signal, at first I was using this as a WiFi extender, however this would drop out occasionally as the extender lost connection to the router,
I changed the device to an access point, upgraded the firmware and plugged an ethernet cable directly from the router to the AP, upgraded firmware and reset using paperclip, however I am still getting disconnects every 30 mins for about 10 seconds but it's really messing up my gaming.

I have isolated that the issue is NOT the router by plugging a further ethernet cable into the router directly to my pc and my pc does not disconnect when the other devices in the house which are connected to the AP disconnects. I have downloaded WiFi analyser and selected a good channel for low interference and tried disabling 5g just so I had absolutely nothing left. I am completely out of ideas and as the extender is directly wired via ethernet and the router itself doesn't disconnect I can only deduce that it's somehow the extender but I have literally tried everything and scoured the internet.

Would really like it sorted before dark souls remaster comes out ! Any ideas guys ? 🙂 Much appreciated
Model: EX6150|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Re: Ex6150 Ac1200 access point disconnecting

Hi @Hamster244,

Ensure there is no interference devices nearby and much obstacles where devices have better line of sight to the AP. If it persist, try initial firmware followed by reset and reconfiguration.

Message 2 of 6
Hamster244
Aspirant

Hey jvasanth1984 thanks a lot for the fast reply,

Just for some more info, the AP is plugged into the living room and it is roughly 5 feet from all the devices that need to connect to it and there is nothing in the way

What sort of interference devices would cause an issue if they were nearby the AP?

The 2.4 and the 5 Ghz bands disconnect at the same time for roughly 10 seconds every 30-60 minutes, 

Finally how do i select the initial firmware? would that be restore to factory settings under the 'other' section on MyWifiExt?

Thanks 

Model: EX6150|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 6
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @Hamster244,

Devices like cordless phones, baby monitor, microwave owen, bluethooth speakers and similar device which emit wireless signals might interfere with wireless signal making it to drop or go weak. You need to download the initial firmware from support website netgear.com/support by entering the model and going to downloads. Once you downloaded initial firmware, extract it and upload it to extender by going to firmware upgrade->browse and choose the extracted file.

Message 4 of 6
Hamster244
Aspirant

Hi there, just followed your instructions rebooted to factory, changed firmware and set it up again, and once again after around 30 min i disconnected, so i tried updating the firmware again to the newest since setting it up anew again and same story unfortunately,

Is there anything else I can try?

Message 5 of 6
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @Hamster244,

Did you tried reset by holding paper clip in reset hole and reconfigured it? if yes, try ON/OFF reset which is like rebooting extender during reset process. You have to hold reset button and keep turning OFF and turning ON the extender for ever 10 seconds Once its done, reconfigure it and see if issue persist. If yes, call Netgear support.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7