× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extender changes IP addresss on the fly

Asterion
Novice

Extender changes IP addresss on the fly

I am expecting once I connect a device by ethernet that the IP address the extender gives it stays the same while the device is connected. What I am finding is that I connect to a small computer board from my PC over the network against the IP address of the board. Some time after (about 10 minutes) the connection between the PC and the board "breaks". When I scan the network the board as been given a different IP address.

I understand each time I connect something to the network, it may be assigned a different IP address, but I expect inside a session the IP address does not change.

Is this a firmware problem? Is this a problem in the wireless router the extender is connected to?

Cheers,
A
Message 1 of 5
fordem
Mentor

Re: Extender changes IP addresss on the fly

Has it occurred to you that the change in ip address may be caused by the "break" rather that the cause of the "break"? Are you experiencing a similar change in address (or break in connection) with any other devices? In my experience, it's not unusual (in fact, it should be expected), for WiFi connected devices to momentarily loose their connections - one of the most annoying things I experienced was a particular USB WiFi adapter that would "chime" when it connected - I was only aware of the lost connection and how frequently it happened because of that chime. So ... - is it actually a problem? - is it a problem with your SBC? - is it a problem with the extender? - is it a problem with the router? You need to determine where the connection is being broken - my suspicion is between the router and the extender (because you say the SBC is connected to the extender via Ethernet) and I have one more question - is it the extender issuing the ip address or the router?
Message 2 of 5
Asterion
Novice

fordem wrote:

You need to determine where the connection is being broken - my suspicion is between the router and the extender (because you say the SBC is connected to the extender via Ethernet) and I have one more question - is it the extender issuing the ip address or the router?

Good question but how does one work that out? Basically, a telco has installed an ISDN router with wireless that I am tapping into and that I haven't touched. I have simply used the raw connection steps on the extender and have not changed settings from factory.

What is the default behaviour of the extender?
Message 3 of 5
Asterion
Novice

Asterion wrote:
Good question but how does one work that out? Basically, a telco has installed an ISDN router with wireless that I am tapping into and that I haven't touched. I have simply used the raw connection steps on the extender and have not changed settings from factory.

What is the default behaviour of the extender?

Logging into extender, going to IP Address Setup, it is set to "Get IP address Dynamically From Router".

I haven't seen the problem on other devices because I have recently only had the one SBC connected. I will "fiddle" with that idea to see what it tells us.

Cheers,
A
Message 4 of 5
fordem
Mentor

Asterion wrote:
Logging into extender, going to IP Address Setup, it is set to "Get IP address Dynamically From Router".

All this tells us is how the extender gets it's address - not whether it's capable of issuing addresses - some of the Netgear extenders are capable of acting as DHCP servers.

Have you tried connecting the SBC directly to the router?
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7