× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extender not working?EX6100 WiFi Range Extender

rapattack
Aspirant

Extender not working?EX6100 WiFi Range Extender

I did the wps setup through my router as i got nowhere trying to do it thru the wps button. Seems with my router that button also resets and takes away the password i set and thats no good. Anyway seemed to have worked but then i moved the extender to where i wanted it . Tried to connect my android phone to it and it said 'authentication problem under it. My router connects fine just not the extender. I put in my password, it saved and seemed to be ok but then i saw that error. The extender is in range of the router in the new location. My router is a tp-link tl-wr841n

Model: EX6100|AC750 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
rapattack
Aspirant

Re: Extender not working?EX6100 WiFi Range Extender

i got on the phone today and called them. It took maybe 2 hours and we finally got it to work. The tech person had to take control of my computer and all the things i saw looked the same as the manual. So i really dont know why it worked for her and not me. The result was though is the signal is very bad...the extender part of this device is not very good. So i said to her what about we try it as an access point. It has a switch on the side. It worked and it is so much better. Because i have the modem separate form the router and the modem does not have wifi plus it is located where the bad signal is then i was able to put a cable in the modem and use this device as an access point. If you know what i mean? Because the tech person didnt originally know my network setup she wouldnt not have known this could be done. Now i have to test later if the signal reaches outside

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 14

All Replies
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @rapattack,

I would recommend you to set it up again using browser method and see if you still encounter this issue.

Message 2 of 14
rapattack
Aspirant

What was the browser method sorry?

Message 3 of 14
rapattack
Aspirant

OK i tried it again tonight as i would have forgotten everything from the other day. I tried via the router again as the button on my router is a dual use button and i dont want to erase the password again by taking the router back to factory password. So i got the router to scan both with either a pin or with the wps button doing the add device thing. It seems to do it and says that it has connected(thats what the router says) but the netgear devices green light is still flashing. It doesn't stop like it did the other day...a few more minutes go by and the light on it is still flahing but the routers light for wps has gone out. I tried several times. Ok i tried via the browser and doesnt work either. It just gives me a page  that says 'You are not connected to your extender's WiFi network.' and instructions on how to connect via windows, mac and android. None of those work. Well i am using linux and android. I do have a mac and windows machine but surely i dont have to drag those out when linux is far superior. I dont have the mac and windows machines permanently set up so prefer to only pull them out if i absolutely have to 🙂 Is there anything else i should try or getting on the phone for support a better option?

Message 4 of 14
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @rapattack,

Connect either 1 of your device to NETGEAR_EXT and goto mywifiext.net which will help you to set it up. If it doesn't, try 192.168.1.250 which would be alternate one for mywifiext.net.

Message 5 of 14
rapattack
Aspirant

Gee that doesn't work either. I got 'problem loading page'...will have to try and ring netgear support again. I got cut off twice. Once while talking to the person and the other time it cut out during the recordings to make you choose options to who you speak to

Message 6 of 14
Froghair
Aspirant

I am having same issues with my EX6100. I changed my ATT router to model BGW210. I followed instructions to install extender to ATT router and get the WPS green lights on the router and extender and the green router link led in the upper left top. My laptop shows that I am using the ATT router address but there is no Netware -2GEXT or -5GEXT to choose from like my first ATT router. I am not WI-FI connected in the Netgear Support pages and none of the link addresses are helping me to install the genie Smart Setup. I have made numerous attempts using the manual and online help but no luck so far. What do you think I am doing wrong? Thanks

Message 7 of 14
rapattack
Aspirant

i got on the phone today and called them. It took maybe 2 hours and we finally got it to work. The tech person had to take control of my computer and all the things i saw looked the same as the manual. So i really dont know why it worked for her and not me. The result was though is the signal is very bad...the extender part of this device is not very good. So i said to her what about we try it as an access point. It has a switch on the side. It worked and it is so much better. Because i have the modem separate form the router and the modem does not have wifi plus it is located where the bad signal is then i was able to put a cable in the modem and use this device as an access point. If you know what i mean? Because the tech person didnt originally know my network setup she wouldnt not have known this could be done. Now i have to test later if the signal reaches outside

Message 8 of 14
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @Froghair,

Try to do reset and see if you can access it to complete the setup.

Message 9 of 14
Froghair
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. I have attempted to do a factory reset several times using a paper clip. I have also made multilple successful WPS connections with my ATT router; the power light is green, the WPS light is green and the Router Link LED is green on the extender, and the WPS light on the router is green. When I use the Netgear Genie I am advised that I am not connected to the network. When I use www.mywifiext.net I am directed to a page that says I am not connected to the network. I went to my router IP address and found the EX6100 showing that it is Pending. I have placed the extender in two different locations and have used my HP notebook to try and get the Client Link LED to light green but it never does (it did with my former ATT router). I am only finding the ATT network name on my PC and other devices, no 2GEXT or 5GEXT extensions to the network name. I still see the old ATT router network name as secured. Do you have any other ideas that might help me?

Message 10 of 14
rapattack
Aspirant

When you first are setting up the extender do you have it right next to the router? I was told do that first and then move it. Sorry i havent read thru everything. Just a athought

Message 11 of 14
Froghair
Aspirant

Thanks for your inquiry. Yes, my extender is plugged into an extension cord and is 18" from my ATT BGW210 router. I get the Power, WPS and Router Link green lights right away on the extender and on the WPS button on the router, but when I move it near where I use my notebook in another room (about a 30' straight shot) the Client light or arrows never light up. I am unable to get the extender to produce the 2GEXT or 5GEXT extensions to my ATT network name as they were before I made the router change and that seems to be the primary problem here. According to the instructions after I get the first three green lights to go green, I need to do the same procedure again in order to get the 2GEXT and 5GEXT extensions. I don't know why the Netgear Genie Smart Setup or the mywifiext.net don't complete the set-up. Am I missing something here??? Instructions mention using a wifi network manager on a computer to find and connect to one of the extender networks. Is that the link address or the Genie Smart Setup? Thanks again. 

Message 12 of 14
rapattack
Aspirant

Oh so it is close...hmmm not sure what else to suggest. I think to the last part u mentioned my guess is that is about seeing the 2GEXT and 5GEXT extensions in your wifi network manager or whatever it is called. I know that the operator i spoke to got me to do that. I wish i could think of a precise whay to say it and ....sorry i am overtired so not sure i can make sense

Message 13 of 14
Froghair
Aspirant

Thanks for the thought. I have never had much luck trying to work with Netgear tech reps so I guess I'll just write this extender off as junk and look for another more better product.

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7