× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extending range on ex6250

Matty19
Aspirant

Extending range on ex6250

I have tried to expend my wifi range around the house and have hit a road block.
I need to get my wifi signal farther away from the house trying to pick it up in another building but seem to be falling short on the range with the setup I thought would work. I have a XR500 which I have added 2 EX6250 extenders to it one is working fine and allows me to get access at some distance away but the second one only just gets a signal and says I’m to short I can’t get it any close to the router .The question I have is will the extenders connect to each other extender or only to the router?
Can you use the Ethernet port on the EX6250 to run a cable to another building from the router if it is to far to pick up the wifi signal?
What are my other options to get the wifi signal farther away for the house living on farm?
Model: EX6250|AC1750-WIFI MESH EXTENDER, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Extending range on ex6250

how far is the building? 

Problem with daisy chaining extenders is that dual/single band extenders drop throughput 50% of what they recieve. So if because of distance/obstruction/interference, they're already getting a poor signal, what they pickup and then transmit is half of that. This happens because they use the same chip to go router---->extender and then extender----->device. 

And if you're already a ways away with the first, the 2nd is going to take its distance/interference/obstruction plus the 50% speed hit. so its signal might be pretty much worthless. Daisy chaining can be done, but a lot depends on distance/obstructions. 

And if its to far, a wire or point to point system is better. 

Message 2 of 3
Matty19
Aspirant

Re: Extending range on ex6250

I’m going to look at running a cable to the other building it is 60m from the router.
With what I have setup currently I get a signal from one of the extenders and router to a bit over 30m.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7