× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FastLane Technology Issues on AC1900 EX7000 with Xfinity WiFi

AshtonF
Aspirant

FastLane Technology Issues on AC1900 EX7000 with Xfinity WiFi

I have recently tried setting up my Netgear wifi extender using the FastLane option hoping that it could improve my wifi speeds for gaming and streaming. I have an Xfinity router/modem but the signal doesn't reach far enough which is why I need the extender. So far, the FastLane Technology option doesn't seem like it is working correctly because half of the devices I connect do not have internet access. Does anyone else have a Netgear extender running the FastLane Technology feature working with their Xfinity wifi?

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: FastLane Technology Issues on AC1900 EX7000 with Xfinity WiFi

The problem with fastlane is that it relies on 2.4ghz. 2.4ghz broadcasts further and through more materials but is significantly slower and more sensitive to interference than 5ghz. 

It does reduce latency running in fastlane and in some rare instances (long ranges) can increase speeds.

A few things to check. 

1. did you set it up using wps and then change it to fastlane afterwards? If so, try resetting the extender and setting it up using the smart installation wizard. 

2. what firmware is on the extender? 

3. what router from xfinity is it? 

Another thing to keep in mind with extenders. In standard mode, they cut throughput 50%. Reason why is they have to send and then receive using the same chip. And they can't do both at once. Which is why it cuts speed. Fastlane can help with that and help with reducing the latency hit that standard mode takes. but again, it relies on the slower 2.4ghz band that suffers from interference as well. 

If you truly need the best speeds with your extender, I'd recommend one of the triband extenders or moving to a triband mesh system. 

the triband extenders have a 2nd 5ghz chip that is reserved just for router----extender communication. This allows the maximum backhaul speed. 

Message 2 of 4
AshtonF
Aspirant

Thanks for your help. I believe the software is on the newest version and the router is the TG1682G. If you think using FastLane on this device doesn't make sense then I guess I will just use the regular set up feature. Originally, I wanted to know if the FastLane feature would improve things but so far it seems more difficult to deal with than its worth. The internet was never exactly slow, I was just curious about the feature and if I would notice a difference. Once again, thank you for your advice.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

It might work better for you than standard. I usually recommend people try standard mode and fastlane mode to see which provides them better service. 

I also usually recommend people try several different locations. Many times, things int he walls/or objects can block signal and moving laterally can help as much as moving an extender closer. So placement and testing are key with extenders. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7