× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Faulty N300 WI FI Extender

chrissiem
Aspirant

Faulty N300 WI FI Extender

Suddenly my extender is causing problems to my Kindle .it is only a few months old but Amazon say  they are not  responsibility and it is practically impossible to contact Netgear as they have a high premium line I have tried to email but it keeps coming back so very frustrated .I thought my problem was with the Kindle but found that  after Amazon recommended returning it back to factory settings that the same problem remained which is that the date and time can't be changed and remains on jan3 1970 so I can't access my Kindle .When I turned off my extender the date changed back to the correct one and all was well .I noticed in the last few days that the client light was either off or red so I reset to factory settings and it seemed ok until I had the problem with my Kindle which was actually the second time it had happened .Why can't I contact the company easily .it seems like it is nearly impossible but my Extender was only bought in July so is still under a years warranty .I feel Netgear has very bad customer service due to the difficulty in contacting them.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
chrissiem
Aspirant

Re: Faulty N300 WI FI Extender

I have now contacted Customer Services and after many checks they have askd me to return the Extender and then I will get a replacement .

Thanks for your help

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi chrissiem,

Which router is connected to the Extender?

Do you experience the same issue when connected to the router?

Can you also confirm which N300 WiFi extender you are using ? (ex. WN2000RPT, PR2000, WN3000RP, etc)

If you are using a NETGEAR router, connect to the router's WiFi network.

Login to routerlogin.net and navigate to Advanced

Under 'Security' click on 'Schedule', then you can change the Time Zone.

Message 2 of 7
chrissiem
Aspirant

Hi ,The router that is connected to the extender is Talk Talk .

My Kindle works just fine when the extender is switched off it picks up the Talk talk wi fi but the connection is only fair not excellent as it was when it was connectected to the Extender before things went wrong .

my Extender is N300 MODEL WN3000RPv3.

This problem has only just started I thought it was the Kindle at fault ,contacted Amazon and they told me to reset to factory settings and briefly the Kindle date was correct and I was able to access emails and facebook etc but then while I was looking at it ,it changed the date back to jan3 1970 ,so I don't know why but I turned off my extender and the correct date came back and the Kindle has worked ever since so for now I am not using my extender it seems to be causing a problem for some reason is it at fault ?

Message 3 of 7
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi chrissiem,

This may be an issue with the NTP client which sets the date/time.

When the Kindle is connected to the WN3000RPv3, you are not able to access the Kindle? Does this mean access to the unit entirely or access to the internet?
If this disables access to the unit entirely, how are you setting the date back?

Please confirm that the TalkTalk router is updated to latest firmware.
Also update the WN3000RPv3 and the Kindle to latest firmware.

Can you please clarify which device was reset to factory default?

You can try factory resetting both the WN3000RPv3 and the TalkTalk router.

See page 32 of 43: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN3000RPV3/WN3000RPv3_UM_2Sep2014.pdf

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/how-do-i-restore-my-router-factory-settings

Message 4 of 7
chrissiem
Aspirant

I know there is not a problem with my Talk Talk moderm, my pc and tv work fine and my Kindle works when connected to it .The Kindle is a new one and is updated it works perfectly well when NOT connected to the extender.When it is connected to the extender I can get access to my Kindle front page but I am not able to open anything because of the date problem .When I turn the extender off the Kindle.is

fine and date restored as I have previously said .Talk Talk modem is updated and the top of the range .

The Kindle and the extender and modem  have all  been reset to factory settings .

Don't you think that it is possible that the Extender is at fault ? It has worked perfectly well but now it is not working at all .Could you tell me what a NTP client please ?

Message 5 of 7
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi chrissiem,

Yes, it is possible that it's a setting with the Extender. We are trying to isolate which device is causing the issue.

Login to mywifiext.net when connected to the Extender's WiFi, then the tab "Setup" < "Wireless Settings" please confirm the security setting on the extender is WPA2. Also set to WPA2 for your router.

Also try testing the different "Wireless mode" settings under the same tab "Setup" < "Wireless Settings" from 300mbps to 54 or 150mbps.

If the problem is still occurring, please contact Support:
http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/

Message 6 of 7
chrissiem
Aspirant

I have now contacted Customer Services and after many checks they have askd me to return the Extender and then I will get a replacement .

Thanks for your help

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7