× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I switched my r6700v2 as an access point but I still see the primary router's wireless signal?

STINKEYE
Aspirant

I switched my r6700v2 as an access point but I still see the primary router's wireless signal?

Disclaimer: I'm a total noob at this so please don't judge.

Hello,

I just had cable installed on my house and the cable company provided me with a modem and router. I have a 2 story home and the modem/router was installed in the garage and I put my R6700v2 in the loft upstairs. 

I have switched the R6700v2 to an access point from the netgear site but I still see the signal from the primary router. Shouldn't I see my netgear wireless signal only and not the one coming from the Spectrum router? Is my R6700v2 working as an extender/repeater?

Do I need to do something to the spectrum router?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: I switched my r6700v2 as an access point but I still see the primary router's wireless signal?

If you switched your R6700v2 to AP mode, all you've done is disabled some features of the router.

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

it didn't do a thing to the spectrum device other than avoid a double nat situation.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

You've got a couple options. If you like having the added coverage for your wireless, just log into each device and setup their own ssid and place their wireless radios on different channels. this limits interference and keeps them functioning well.

if you've got plenty of coverage with just the R6700, you can always disable the wifi on the spectrum device. 

Or if you want to get more complicated, you can place the spectrum router/modem in modem only mode, and turn routing mode back on the R6700. 

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: I switched my r6700v2 as an access point but I still see the primary router's wireless signal?

and this would be your forum. You're currently posting in the wireless extender forum. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-general

Message 3 of 7
STINKEYE
Aspirant

Thank you Plemans for your response and I appologize for creating this post on the wrong section.

So, based on my basic understanding, even if I "setup their own ssid and place their wireless radios on different channels" this will not stop me from having 2 wirless networks, correct? My idea was to have a router in a central location (the loft) that will cover the whole house.  The garage is in one corner of the house and my room is in the opposite corner upstairs, my home is 3100 sqft.

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

it would have different ssid's (wireless names). 3100 sq ft is a large area to cover with a single router. If they're on different wireless channels, they're not going to interfere with each other and always give you the option of a backup wireless to use on that end of the house if need be. You could always name it something like "backup". Or you could just disable the wireless through the settings. 

Message 5 of 7
STINKEYE
Aspirant

Thank you again!

I think I'll do what you said and have one as a back up. My only concern will be having 2 netwroks run simultaneously will slow the internet down since i'll be splitting the signal. Unless I turn the wirelss of and on like you said.

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

your not going to lower your speeds by running 2 wireless networks. Running wireless doesn't use any bandwidth unless something is connected and utilizing it. the only "but" to this is if you're primary router is running QoS (quality of service) that restricts bandwidth by device. Usually you can disable this feature. 

Just make sure to seperate the wireless radios by channel. 

So put your spectrums 2.4ghz on channel 1 or 11 and your netgears on channel 6.

For the 5ghz you should be able to put on on the lower spectrum 5ghz (36-48) and the other on the higher spectrum (149-161). 

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7