× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Incorrect password netgear extender

Leejohnst
Star

Incorrect password netgear extender

I’ve seen this issue posted everywhere but nowhere is the answer... 

Recently changed broadband providers and router (Technicolor). Had a netgear extender previously but now it will not connect to any devices since the change. I have netgear EX2700. 

Yes I have factory reset the extender. I have connected it to the new router by wps, I have the green lights. My phone and iPad can see ‘name_ext’ in wifi settings, but when putting in the routers password it is saying inncorrect. Deffo is the right password. 

I don’t have a computer to plug the extender in. I need someone to help but please be simple because I don’t understand what I am doing. 

I have my extenders IP address but when I put it into a search bar, I cannot log in 

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: Incorrect password netgear extender

Have you tried using the web ui setup method instead of WPS?

Message 2 of 13
Leejohnst
Star

Please can you explain how to do this as I don’t know the difference
Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Leejohnst wrote:
Please can you explain how to do this as I don’t know the difference

Connect a device to the extender's wifi network (or using an ethernet cable to the extender).

Then browse to mywifiext.net.   You'll need to log into the admin ui, and can you'll be able select the router's network and enter it's passphrase there.

If you can't log into the admin ui, follow the instructions on page 31 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX2700/EX2700_UM_EN.pdf

Message 4 of 13
Leejohnst
Star

I cannot connect to the extender because it’s saying incorrect password when I try conecting. When I go to that website it just says you are not connected, even tho I am connect to the main modem

Message 5 of 13
Leejohnst
Star

Is the reason why I can’t log into mywifiext.net because I haven’t got one of the compatable extenders?

Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Leejohnst wrote:

I cannot connect to the extender because it’s saying incorrect password 

You are saying that you can't connect to the extender wifi?  Did you reset the extender?

Message 7 of 13
Leejohnst
Star

The extender is connected to the modem. But all devices say ‘incorrect password’ when trying to connect to the extender.
Yes I’ve factory reset the extender multiple times
Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Do you have a device that you can connect to the extender's ethernet?

Message 9 of 13
Leejohnst
Star

The extender is connected to the router by wps, I have the green lights on the extender. It’s the extender I cannot connect anything to. 

I can see the extender in my WiFi list, but it says ‘incorrect password’ even tho I am entering the same password as the router. 

Please see link to someone having the same issue as me. The solution is not working for me tho. I hope this helps...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/Wifi-range-extender-won-t-accept-rou...

Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Leejohnst wrote:

Please see link to someone having the same issue as me. The solution is not working for me tho. I hope this helps...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/Wifi-range-extender-won-t-accept-rou...

Are you saying that you can't find the extender's IP address in your router's attached devices list?

Or that you can't browse to that address when in your browser.

Message 11 of 13
Leejohnst
Star

I found the IP Address but I can’t log into this either. Attached is the error message. I just reset my netgear password and still the same error. 

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

If you entered the security questions in your initial setup, try clicking on "username & password help".  That will bring you to the password recovery screen, which might get you through the login.  You could also try admin for the username and password for the password (which are the defaults).

The error in your screenshot is "invalid username"  It's possible that this is because of the dash, or maybe the length.  Of course if it was mis-typed in the initial setup, that would also result in this error. Hopefully @DexterJB can provide some information on the limits.

If the two suggestions above don't work, then I suggest doing the paper-clip reset again, and using a shorter and simpler username.  The extender doesn't send email to the address, so it doesn't have to be valid.

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7