× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NO INTERNET ACCESS but Connected to EXTENDER

WizzKidDV
Aspirant

NO INTERNET ACCESS but Connected to EXTENDER

Hello all,

I am an IT Guy having issues with a Customer's Wireless Network. I recently implemented the WN2500RP and things were good for a few days. Then I got complaints that that Laptops and IPads are connected to EXT but have NO Access to the Internet.

IP Config on Laptops shows (169.X.X.X) APIPA Addresses. BUT strangely I can connect to the WN2500RP thru WIRED Network (even-though it is setup Wireless).

In other words, ROUTER sees EXT but EXT does not see ROUTER or get DHCP.

Below are the highlights of the Setup:

Main Router: NetIS WF-2409, DHCP Server Enabled, 2.5 GHz
Not My Choice (Pre-Existing)
SSID: EXAMPLE1
Security: WPA2/AES
Channel: 8

NG Extender: WN2500RP, 2.5 GHz (Tried Static & Dynamic IP)
5GHz Disabled because Router not Capable
SSID: EXAMPLE1
Security: WPA2/AES
Channel: 8

Any Obi-Wans out there to help me? 🙂
Message 1 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: NO INTERNET ACCESS but Connected to EXTENDER

Try static ip on each PC side and test
Message 2 of 11
WizzKidDV
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:

I have tried this for testing and this does work.

BUT this is not a viable solution as devices will leave this network and go to other networks where they will need to be DHCP Clients.
Message 3 of 11
WizzKidDV
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:

I have tried Static IPs on Wireless Laptops and it does work that way.

Although that's not a viable solution because Laptops will leave this network and will need DHCP for other networks.
Message 4 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Common issues been seen in extender

You contact support about the issues but static ip will be your solution for now
Message 5 of 11
WizzKidDV
Aspirant

I understand what you are saying. And I do appreciate your guidance JMizoguchi.

But that is not a viable solution by any means. It's like a Car Tire loosing air and the solution is to keep filling air everyday because we don't know where the hole is in the tire.

There is a perfectly good solution. Replace the damn thing. And so I did.

Installed an EnGenius EAP300 Access Point on Monday and (knock on wood) haven't had any hick-ups since. As an AP it does require a Hard Line. But stability is key for any Network Operation. Not to mention wider range and SAME COST of around $90!

Sorry Netgear, BALL DROPPED!
Message 6 of 11
Bthomson
Aspirant

WizzKidDV wrote:
I understand what you are saying. And I do appreciate your guidance JMizoguchi.

But that is not a viable solution by any means. It's like a Car Tire loosing air and the solution is to keep filling air everyday because we don't know where the hole is in the tire.

There is a perfectly good solution. Replace the damn thing. And so I did.

Installed an EnGenius EAP300 Access Point on Monday and (knock on wood) haven't had any hick-ups since. As an AP it does require a Hard Line. But stability is key for any Network Operation. Not to mention wider range and SAME COST of around $90!

Sorry Netgear, BALL DROPPED!

I'm having similar issues as you did WizzkidDv. Did changing out the wn2500rp solve the problem?
Message 7 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Message 8 of 11
WizzKidDV
Aspirant

Bthomson wrote:
I'm having similar issues as you did WizzkidDv. Did changing out the wn2500rp solve the problem?

Well, to be clear WN2500RP is no longer a part of my Network. I gave up trying to make it work. I am pushing for an RMA just incase it's a faulty device (but I think it's a design flaw).

My Solution: I disabled Wireless on my Main Router and installed EnGenius EAP300 Access Point with Ethernet Cable. And let me tell ya, it kicks butt. Just 1 AP handles the entire site. Before this, we had a High Gain Router AND this Netgear Extender.

Don't fall for this Repeater / Extender business. Tough it out and run a hard wire.
Message 9 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

My Solution: I disabled Wireless on my Main Router and installed EnGenius EAP300 Access Point with Ethernet Cable. And let me tell ya, it kicks butt. Just 1 AP handles the entire site. Before this, we had a High Gain Router AND this Netgear Extender.

EnGenius or Open-mesh of two are good choice.

Run cable and install either one. Get some high gain Omni direction antenna as well. If that works with single AP, you are in good shape
Message 10 of 11
luisrf
Aspirant

I have a similar issue. I can connect my range extender to my network and it works as intended until I use the access control list on the router (Netgear Rangemax WPN824v2). I run the router maintenance screen from a separate PC and see that the attached device MAC is the same as the one entered on the Access list on the router, but I cant connect if I use access control. any suggestions?
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7