× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Net gear tech service wanted $110 to renew some security feature in my 3110 Wi-Fi extender

Profloving
Aspirant

Net gear tech service wanted $110 to renew some security feature in my 3110 Wi-Fi extender

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Net gear tech service wanted $110 to renew some security feature in my 3110 Wi-Fi extender

So you factory reset the extender, then without hitting WPS, you connected the laptop to the netgear's wireless? 

And it showed the netgear_ext address? 

And then from there try 192.168.1.250

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
Profloving
Aspirant

Re: Net gear tech service wanted $110 to renew some security feature in my 3110 Wi-Fi extender

I was setting up a new printer. I got a warning about a Wi-Fi network that was unsafe. I had never seen it before. Then I could not log into my accounts with Westlaw, several newspapers and other sites. I could get on YouTube. I scanned for malware, equipment failure but nothing changed. I did a factory reset of my laptop. No change. I called Netgear support and was told that a subscription to an internet security feature had expired and that is why I couldn’t get on sites that I need. The person on the phone offered me a 1 year, 2 year or lifetime subscription starting at $110. He said the router would continue blocking sites that it suspected were unsafe. I declined and now am looking for help to fix this. I have “forgotten” the Wi-Fi network under the Netgear extender but still can’t get to the websites I need for my work.
Message 2 of 12
plemans
Guru

Netgear doesn't sell you things like that. Scam sites are great at it though. If you googled for a number that's more than likely what you got. 

What actual issue are you having? what is telling you these issues? 

Is it more than 1 device or just the single device? 

Message 3 of 12
Profloving
Aspirant

My wife’s MacBook had one instance of not getting connected. Our echo device and smart tv connect.
I can’t get to Westlaw or the Times, Post, Guardian websites or most everything else. I can get on and use YouTube. One error message has a Netgear title and the link took me to the Netgear site.
I’ve run the Windows malware program, the Bitdefender virus scan and the Lenovo computer health programs and turned up nothing. AT&T can’t figure it out. They said that the lines were unbalanced. They sent a tech. He was perplexed. He swapped out the router, which was 5 years old, for a new one. I still have the same problem. I will try to send a photo of the Netgear screen in a follow up reply. Thanks
Message 4 of 12
Profloving
Aspirant

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

do you get the same things on the PC when the extender is powered off?

Try using the extenders IP address to access it and not the mywifiext address. 

Message 6 of 12
Profloving
Aspirant

When I type in “NYTimes.com”, I am redirected to “mywifiext (dot) net” The screen shows “NETGEAR”<br>The body reads “You are not connected to your extender’s WiFi network.”<br>It has tabs and when I a click on “HOME”, “BUSINESS” or “SUPPORT”, I wind up on the Netgear site. My EX3110 extender is not plugged in. I “forgot” it on my Wi-Fi connection page. Have you heard of this happening?
Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

Your extender isn't plugged in? You mean to the wall? 

Did you set it up using the push button WPS option? 

If so, factory reset the extender  and set it up using the installation assistant.

To factory reset, push and hold the reset button for 7-15 seconds while powered on. 

Here's a video of how to use the assistant. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJVklshxBMk

Message 8 of 12
Profloving
Aspirant

During the process, I reset the extender several times including just now. I unplugged the extender from the outlet and left it unplugged. I went into my Network and Internet settings and forgot the Netgear network. Still not fixed.
I reset just now and tried to reconnect without using the “connect automatically”. It doesn’t connect. When I went back to my AT&T network, I couldn’t get onto the Netgear website to download anything.
Message 9 of 12
Profloving
Aspirant

To clarify, I tried to connect with the Netgear extender without using the “connect automatically”. Instead of taking the to Netgear to go through the connection process, it simply said “the site cannot be reached” I tried to go the the extender connection process using my wife’s backup PC laptop with the same results . That means even if I switched to her laptop, I wouldn’t be able to do my work (I’m coauthor of a textbook on media law).
Message 10 of 12
plemans
Guru

So you factory reset the extender, then without hitting WPS, you connected the laptop to the netgear's wireless? 

And it showed the netgear_ext address? 

And then from there try 192.168.1.250

Message 11 of 12
Profloving
Aspirant

But, to your question. I pulled the extender out of the wall outlet. While it was not connected, I reset the AT&amp;T router and did a factory reset of my laptop.<br>It still kept sending me to mywifiext(dot)net. It did the same thing on my wife’s MacBook and her Lenovo.<br>No one around here could explain why it was sending me to mywifiext(dot)net.<br>Then, I paid the fee for one year of extended coverage from Netgear and spent about three hours on the phone with a tech. She eventually focused on the IP address. It was incorrect. How it was changed, I have no idea, but it happened during the installation process for the new printer. I did not go to hardware settings and I did not change the IP address. I’m going to look into how my IP address could have been changed. Thank you for spending so much time working on my problem.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7