× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear EX7500 5G channel selection

MEDMAD
Aspirant

Netgear EX7500 5G channel selection

I have a Netgear EX7500 wifi extender, connected and configured on 2.5 ghz and 5G.  Is there a way to choose a channel other than the 4 default channels, 36, 40,44 & 48?  The online documentaion suggests channels between 145 and 161 (which is what my router is usung on the 5G side).  The extender chose "auto" for my 2.4G network on the extender, which is what my router (Netgear C6300) uses, but the 5G side on the extnder only allows those 4 channels...why??  Thanks for the help!

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear EX7500 5G channel selection

There isn't and here's way. 

The EX7500 being a triband device, uses the connection back to the router as the "dedicated" backhaul. That's all it uses that channel for to preserve throughput. If you changed it so both 5ghz channels could use that same channel, only one could broadcast at a time (or it'd create interference). And that'd slow it down big time. 

So whatever you set your router as for 5ghz channels, the extender will use for the backhaul. If you changed the router's broadcast to the lower 5ghz channels, then the extender could use the higher channels for broadcast

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

There isn't and here's way. 

The EX7500 being a triband device, uses the connection back to the router as the "dedicated" backhaul. That's all it uses that channel for to preserve throughput. If you changed it so both 5ghz channels could use that same channel, only one could broadcast at a time (or it'd create interference). And that'd slow it down big time. 

So whatever you set your router as for 5ghz channels, the extender will use for the backhaul. If you changed the router's broadcast to the lower 5ghz channels, then the extender could use the higher channels for broadcast

Message 2 of 4
MEDMAD
Aspirant

Thank you, makes sense. Haven’t experience any issues, but was just curious as to why they were locked down.
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Hope it stays working well!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements