× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900

ScrantonGuy
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900

My house is a stucco faraday cage with old wiring and the wireless doesn't extend around the house. I do, however, have coax cables all over the place. Can I use the coax cables to extend my wifi? What hardward to I need to do that?

Model: C7100V|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk AC1900

Its called a moca adapter. ethernet over coax. 

It might be a bit expensive to setup using multiple moca adapters and access points but would help greatly with your coverage. 
I'd look at use the Orbi system for your AP's so you'd be able to use both wired and wireless backhauls with the moca adapters. 

Message 2 of 5
ScrantonGuy
Aspirant

I'm a newbie. Can you explain that a bit more (without abbreviations) and with a bit more explanation?

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

MoCa adapter- multimedia over coax alliance. Basically its an adapter that lets you use your coax lines as ethernet lines. 

https://www.actiontec.com/wifihelp/wifibooster/what-is-moca-why-do-i-want-it/

That effectively lets you have ethernet connections in each room you add the moca adapter to. 

But even with that, if you want wireless coverage, you'd want AP's (access points) spread throughout the home. As you've found out, a single one has their signal blocked/attenuated quickly in your plaster lathe home. 

The orbi wireless system is netgears mesh setup. Its lets you use a single ssid (name) for the router and satellites. That way devices aren't having to be manually switched from one wireless name to the next when you switch rooms/areas of the home. And it has the options to add more satellites to the system. So if you started with a single router and satellite and wanted more coverage in 1 area, you'd simply add another satellite. 

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/

Message 4 of 5
sktn77a
Virtuoso

If you have an older house, it probably has RG59 coax, which isn't suitable for 10base-T ethernet.  Minimum standard is RG6 and it needs to be terminated correctly.  Given the cost and grief factor, you might want to hire an electrician to fish a CAT-6 cable to the garage and install an access point in there.  Alternatively, have you tried a powerline ethernet adapter set?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7