× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New connection

Debs63
Tutor

New connection

I have just purchased an extender plug in and I can not connect it to my router 

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Debs63
Tutor

Re: New connection

Hi again 😀
I did try the assistant method many times.
I tried it on a laptop and I pad.
The was a message on the screen saying it had been unable to connect.
The person that spoke to me was from the net gear page.
I was typing to someone and he said he’d get a technician to call me. I didn’t let him take control of my laptop to fix it !!

Ok ....... I followed your message and I have certainly got the lights on now and my son has connection downstairs 😀 voila indeed.
Many thanks for helping me !!!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

some more details might help. 

1. what extender did you buy? 

2. what firmware is on it? 

3. what router are you connecting it to? 

4. from the sound of it, you tried installing using the WPS method. Did you try using the installation assistant instead? try this method

Message 2 of 5
Debs63
Tutor

Hi
It’s model ex3700
It’s trying to connect to a 4g EE router
I’ve tried both methods
It won’t connect to the net gear it keeps connecting to the router.
I wasn’t happy with someone taking control of my lap top to fix this.
He wouldn’t walk through the steps for me to do it myself and ended the call.
It’s certainly not a case of pressing a button and voila you’re sorted!!
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

@Debs63 wrote:
Hi
It’s model ex3700
It’s trying to connect to a 4g EE router
I’ve tried both methods----I believe you've tried the wps method. I'm doubting if you tried the installation assistant based on  your next sentence. 
It won’t connect to the net gear it keeps connecting to the router.---What is saying this? 
I wasn’t happy with someone taking control of my lap top to fix this.----Not sure why anyone would need to. Its pretty easy to setup. 
He wouldn’t walk through the steps for me to do it myself and ended the call.----did you google for a support number? those are usually con/scam sites becaues netgear doesn't list a phone number to call. 
It’s certainly not a case of pressing a button and voila you’re sorted!!----WPS works great using the same manufacturer but when you mix manufacturers, wps can get coded different and not work. its why there's also the installation assistant. 

Try this. 

Factory reset the extender. Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. 

Then hardwire a laptop or pc into the extender using the ethernet port. Disable the wifi on the pc/laptop to prevent it from defaulting back to that connection. 

Then try using the installation assistant for setup. 

Message 4 of 5
Debs63
Tutor

Hi again 😀
I did try the assistant method many times.
I tried it on a laptop and I pad.
The was a message on the screen saying it had been unable to connect.
The person that spoke to me was from the net gear page.
I was typing to someone and he said he’d get a technician to call me. I didn’t let him take control of my laptop to fix it !!

Ok ....... I followed your message and I have certainly got the lights on now and my son has connection downstairs 😀 voila indeed.
Many thanks for helping me !!!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7