× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X4 AC2200 Wifi Mesh Extender Help

CynicdarK
Tutor

Nighthawk X4 AC2200 Wifi Mesh Extender Help

I have the Nighthawk x4 AC2200 Wifi Mesh Extender and I am trying to get it working. I was finally able to connect my phone with the netgear app and get the new firmware installed. But now that the firmware has been installed. I cannot find the EXT Network anywhere. Will it be separate or does it just use my normal Router name? Also my Client Link has only lit up the one time I was able to get my phone connected. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X4 AC2200 Wifi Mesh Extender Help

Did you set it up using the one ssid features, aka mesh?

If so, they extender uses the same ssid. 

How big is your home? If its not large, the devices might be defaulting to the router. 

Message 2 of 5
CynicdarK
Tutor

@plemans  I have my router upstairs on one side of the house. I wouldn't say the house is abnormally large by any means. But the smart tv that is downstairs on the opposite side of the house has a terrible connection. Hence the reason for getting the extender. So the extender takes on the exact same name as the router and therefore you are saying it is connecting to my router by default as opposed to the extender? Can I change my extender name to make it seperate so that the TV can find the extender as opposed to automatically picking up the router? Thanks in advance!

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

@CynicdarK wrote:

@plemans  I have my router upstairs on one side of the house. I wouldn't say the house is abnormally large by any means. But the smart tv that is downstairs on the opposite side of the house has a terrible connection. Hence the reason for getting the extender. So the extender takes on the exact same name as the router and therefore you are saying it is connecting to my router by default as opposed to the extender?--Not necessarily. Extenders can be finicky. If there's something blocking signals within the walls, it could be saying, the router signal is still better. Sometimes moving an extender a little to the side, closer, or further away can avoid a blocking object. You can also go into your tv and forget/reconnect to the network to see if you can force it to change.  Can I change my extender name to make it seperate so that the TV can find the extender as opposed to automatically picking up the router?----You sure can do that. Some have needed/wanted to as they want specific devices on the extender versus the router.  Thanks in advance!

The one ssid name isn't something you're required to use but its an option. For many it works great. For others not so much. In terms of placement of the extender, its good to move it around and speedtest it in certain locations. many times things in the walls such as hvac can block signals. Moving it a little can sometimes really help performance. 

Message 4 of 5
CynicdarK
Tutor

@plemans Thank you, I will give this a try. Unfortunately I am at work and won't be able to try it until tonight. One problem I was having though, everytime I tried a speed test via the app I never got any numbers back at all. I will go into the settings and change my extenders name so I can have them seperately connect directly to that instead. Thanks again and if this works I will mark as solved!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7