× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X4 AC2200

Manny_K
Tutor

Nighthawk X4 AC2200

Just got this Nighthawk range extender and I've tried everything in the manual to connect to my router with no luck.

1) Tried WPS by pushing the WPS button on my Hitron router and the extender (switch set to extend not access point). Didn't work.

2) Plugged an ethernet cable from the extender directly into my computer and my computer connected to my router via wifi. Got the new extender setup page, went through everything and even double checkied my router password. Failed to connect in the end.

After that I used a paper clip to reset the extender and tried the above 2 steps again. Ended up doing a reset 3 times and going through all the steps again and again.

Tried connecting at 2.4G only and then 5G only and both. Nothing worked.

After 4 hours, I did notice that when using the wired connection setup, the extender scans and sees my router using TKIP encrytion. My router only uses AES and there's no other option to change it to TKIP.

I can't find anyway in the extender setup menu to change it to AES.

The extender is less than 6 feet from my router; it's broadcast power is set to 100%. My wifi network analyzer says the signal strength for the router and the extender are about the same and they down out the neighbours.

Does anybody have any suggestions other than what it says in the manual or have a way to force the extender to recognize my router encrytion as AES?

Thanks for reading and any helpful suggestions.

Model: EX7300|AC2200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Manny_K
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk X4 AC2200

Gave up on trying to make it work. It will not work with a Hitron modem.

Tried it at another place with a different service provider and an Actiontec modem and it joins with WPS just fine.

The Nighthawk went back since it won't work with my modem.

A Dlink extender worked but it overheated doing nothing all night except broadcasting its SSID.

The only advice I have for people who have problems like this is to send it back and get something else until you find a brand that works for you. If it doesn't work out of the box even after following the instructions, don't waste your time. Bring it back to the store and get something else.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Is the extender's router connection set to use WPA2?

Message 2 of 5
Manny_K
Tutor

Yes it is.

Thanks for geting back to me.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

I don't have this particular model, but it seems to me that it should handle WPA2-AES.

Have you tried looking for a firmware update?

Message 4 of 5
Manny_K
Tutor

Gave up on trying to make it work. It will not work with a Hitron modem.

Tried it at another place with a different service provider and an Actiontec modem and it joins with WPS just fine.

The Nighthawk went back since it won't work with my modem.

A Dlink extender worked but it overheated doing nothing all night except broadcasting its SSID.

The only advice I have for people who have problems like this is to send it back and get something else until you find a brand that works for you. If it doesn't work out of the box even after following the instructions, don't waste your time. Bring it back to the store and get something else.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7