× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 AC2200 EX7700 Drops connection to connected devices.

Gregc49
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 AC2200 EX7700 Drops connection to connected devices.

Cannot maintain connection with mobile phones, both Apple and Android. Will drop in and out, with the Android says "Incorrect Password" when trying to log in to the network. The Apple just stays disconnected. On a Windows device sometimes drops out or become unstable. The WiFi router security system is WPA2-PSK-CCMP. I have up to date extender software. These faults do not occur if working off the WiFi router alone.

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 AC2200 EX7700 Drops connection to connected devices.

If you do run into issues, try the downgrade. 

Its pretty easy. You simply follow the manual update process from the manual and use the older firmware. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What router is it? 

Did you set it up using wps or using the installation wizard?

How far from the router is it? 

do you have a screen snip of the extenders status page? 

Message 2 of 9
Gregc49
Aspirant

Message 3 of 9
Gregc49
Aspirant

The router is an ISP supplied unit with their brand.

I used WSP set up initially but recently re-started using the installation wizard.

About 5 metres with a couple of walls in between. The extender shows a white router link light, somwtimes, as now, it shows yellow.

From new the extender worked perfectly for many months, only in the last few months has it been a problem.

Screen shot sent. Thanks.

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

what telstra device is it? 

Have you tried changing the router---extender link channel to the higher bands? 

or moving the extender around a little? the 5ghz band doesn't broadcast as far or through as much materials. So sometimes a lateral move can help in removing obstructions that could be blocking the signal. 

Message 5 of 9
Gregc49
Aspirant

It is a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2.

I am trying a different position, still assessing performance but still some problems.

Thinking of changing the extender to its own unique SSID, see if the phone and tablet may be having difficulty discriminating between router and extender. In a remote room where the extender is the dominant signal all seems to work ok.

Stay tuned.

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

Are you on version 1.0.0.210 of the firmware? 

If so, downgrade tot he 1.0.0.206 version, factory reset, and reinstall. After reinstall, disable auto-updates. I've seen a coupe posts where people are having issues on the latest firmware. 

Message 7 of 9
Gregc49
Aspirant

Hi,

I have the 210 version of software. I did the restart as suggested but it goes direct to the latest software. Can't see how one can change back to the 206 version.

The extender is in a better location now and I have set it to use it's own SSID. It is closer to the area I want to serve and both devices now work happily. The mobiles connect direct to the router through the main part of the house so all is well. 

So, don'y understand why the shared SSID didn't work well but all looks good now. Thanks for your help.

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

If you do run into issues, try the downgrade. 

Its pretty easy. You simply follow the manual update process from the manual and use the older firmware. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series