× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 extending the range

siwel
Aspirant

R7000 extending the range

We have an R7000 at the front of our warehouse and a couple of range extenders dotted around one is wireless and the other wired. The wifi signal is ok some of the time but in some areas it drops out depending on the hardware.

I am wondering if a better solution exists - the area is about 10,000 square feet.

Should we keep the R7000 and add a mesh system (my preferred option) - if so which is worth looking at? 

Or should we start again with all new equipment?

(The number of connections at any one time is under 20 and I do not want to spend vast amounts of money on a new system i.e. 1,000£ / $ etc)

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000 extending the range

I would switch entirely to a mesh system. Reason why is the R7000 isn't a bad device but its a 9 year old device. Plus you've got a rigged up coverage for a rather large area (10K ft). I don't recommend using more than 1 wireless extender because there's nothing controlling the system. Even you're having to buy things for better coverage, better to start from the basics of a mesh. 

Even the Orbi AC (RBK53) with 2x satellites is only rated to 7500ft. but you could always add more satellites. 

For example. right now the RBK53 is for sale renewed on amazon US for around $209. 

buying 2 of those systems (cheaper to buy the system and not use the one router or save it for backup) would only cost $418 (US) and get you a router plus 4x satellites to cover your area. And thats for the AC system. The AX systems have more coverage but cost more. 

If you switched to the RBK753 (AX version) its around $329 renewed on amazon. So $658 to have a router plus 4x satellites. 

Those are the consumer routers. They do have the business grade equipment if you need it. 

Message 2 of 3
siwel
Aspirant

Re: R7000 extending the range

Sound advice, thank you
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements