× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Range help!

jacandjack
Aspirant

Range help!

Totally new to this, so please forgive my ignorance. 

I've purchased a Nighthawk X6 AC2200 Tri-Band WiFi Range Extender in the hope to reach up to 102 metres from my modem to run security cameras. I've connected the extender and it's now sitting 24 metres away from the modem and has full signal. 

So, now from the extender, I need to get around 78 metres away, but at 58 metres, it's on one bar and drops in and out - the cameras are struggling. I was under the impression that this range extender would do the job (they said it would go around 80 metres each way) - have I been misguided? Are there any tips to extend the range? Unfortunately, I can't get the extender any closer as it's open outdoor space. 

The cameras have to be on 2.4GHz. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Range help!

No idea where someone said they'd reach 80 meters away. Thats quite a distance to reach. It does a bit better in open air versus a home but reaching that far is quite the distance. 

Usually what we recommend when someone is trying to reach something 100 meters away is using a point to point system (like netgears airbridge) and then connect an access point at the end of it. 

Message 2 of 4
jacandjack
Aspirant

Thanks so much -(probably a dumb question) but does the airbridge connect to a 2.4 network as well?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

airbridge is hardwired in. You connect in the "master" that is sending the signal. It sends a signal to the receiver on the other end. That device you connect an access point to. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7