× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unexpected behavior using EX3700 through GS105 switch

wyemtnbav
Guide

Unexpected behavior using EX3700 through GS105 switch

I hope I've posted to the relevant board. I purchased an EX3700 to attempt to bring wifi from my house to my workshop. Connection was spotty, so last week I ran copper cable from the router (in the house) to the building and plugged into a GS105 Prosafe switch, thus allowing me to connect PC's situated around the shop.

It occurred to me that I could probably use my EX3700 as an access point to provide wifi for phones, tablets, and such inside the workshop. I followed instructions to set it up as an access point and everything seemed to work fine.

Today, I needed to be in the shop, so I turned on my laptop to stream music, and my desktop to do my work. Both connected fine. I decided to send a message using my phone and realized I had no wifi and no connection was available. I verified that both computers were connected via LAN and discovered the laptop's LAN connection was listed as the EX3700's address. The desktop shows to be connected to the router in the house.

Not being super tech savvy, my concerns are 1) Why is the access point now providing a LAN connection through the same switch it's plugged into? 2)How did my setup change itself over the course of a week? 3) How do I correct the situation? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Unexpected behavior using EX3700 through GS105 switch

Its sounding more and more like its a switch or cable issue. 

How long is the cable?

Have you tested the cable and seperately tested the switch? 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Just to clarify a few points.

your setup is going as such:

router-------Switch-----ex3700--)))))wireless devices

And you're sure the ex3700 is setup in AP mode? I know you set it up that way but it wouldn't be the first time a device has rebooted/reset and lost its configuration.  If the wifi isn't working properly, I'd suspect something like that.

If its in ap mode, the router should be handling the dhcp info. 

What I'd do? Probably reinstall the latest firmware, reset the extender, and reinstall it in AP mode.  Is it always left on or are you shutting it down when you leave the workshop?

Message 2 of 12
plemans
Guru

BTW here's your support site with that firmware I mentioned and manuals.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX3700.aspx

Message 3 of 12
wyemtnbav
Guide

Yes, that is exactly how the devices are set up. It occurred to me that something had reset itself - I just leave everything powered up all the time - but I was baffled at the AP providing LAN connection to a computer plugged in next to it on the same switch! I guess part of me just wants to understand how that occurs, even if it's not the root of the problem! I'll follow your suggestions and report back later today! Thank you!

Message 4 of 12
wyemtnbav
Guide

Okay, so I was utterly unable to connect to the web using the AP.

I unplugged it, took it in the house, did a factory reset, updated the firmware, and set it up again as an access point. Everything went flawlessly. I even renamed its dual outputs to avoid any confusion. Plugged directly into the router, I was able to log in and out of the 2.4 / 5 networks with so trouble at all. I saved the configuration, then unplugged the AP from the wall outlet for 60 seconds. When I plugged it back in, it booted right up and I was once again able to access both wireless outputs.

I thought that had it sorted so I brought it back out to the workshop and plugged it into the ethernet switch. It now displays both wireless outputs, but won't let me sign into either, giving me a "file 404" error message. If I try to sign in using the Netgear utility, it says the AP isn't connected to the router. I tried more than one ethernet cable, just to be sure that wasn't an issue.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

Its sounding more and more like its a switch or cable issue. 

How long is the cable?

Have you tested the cable and seperately tested the switch? 

Message 6 of 12
wyemtnbav
Guide

The cable is 72" but I swapped with my laptop cable and the laptop still connected fine. I also tried other ports on the switch. One thing I'm uncertain about is the connectivity LED adjacent to each port on the switch. The cables going to my other wired devices each have an led illuminated next to their respective ports on the switch, but the AP cable's port won't light, no matter which port it's in. I'm thinking about grabbing a new cable on my way home from work tomorrow, just to be sure. One thing's certain: the AP either wasn't correctly configured or lost it's settings prior to my initial help request, so you were spot on there! If I can just get the thing online, I'll be set. Heck, the switch is only ~$20 so I'll buy another if I have to! Thanks again for your continued assistance! 

Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

If you plug the cable directly into the AP without the switch, does it work?

Message 8 of 12
wyemtnbav
Guide

Yes, plugged directly into the router it connects fine, even using the same cable.
Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

Does you other device have a wireless card/setup? 

You could just pull the switch out and use them wireless

Message 10 of 12
plemans
Guru

Plus I'd check on the switch. It has a lifetime warranty for the GS105 . If its bad, it should be free replacement. 

Message 11 of 12
wyemtnbav
Guide

A new cable solved the problem. Odd, since I was able to connect directly to the router using the SAME cable! Anyhow, thanks again for your help. Aside from the cable connectivity issue, the unit wouldn't be working if you hadn't suggested the first steps. Cheers!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7