× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using an EX8000 as an Access Point with "Enable one wifi name"

clfaye
Initiate

Using an EX8000 as an Access Point with "Enable one wifi name"

Hi - I have a RAX80 and an EX8000.  I have tried using the EX8000 as a wireless extender, but the connection was too unreliable.  I now have the EX8000 connected via ethernet cable and it is operating as a wireless access point with its own SSID.  I would prefer to have it operate in mesh mode using the same SSID as the RAX80.  It appears that range extenders should have this function.  According to this article (https://kb.netgear.com/000044732/How-do-I-enable-or-disable-One-WiFi-Name-on-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-WiFi-...) I should have a "enable the One WiFi name feature" radio button on the wifi settings page - but there isn't one.  Am I missing something?

Message 1 of 3

Re: Using an EX8000 as an Access Point with "Enable one wifi name"

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number, EX8000, and check the documentation for your hardware.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Using an EX8000 as an Access Point with "Enable one wifi name"

In access point mode, the EX8000 doesn't have the one wifi feature because its a seperate access point, its not running in mesh. it won't work as a mesh device. 

It only functions as a mesh when ran in extender mode. 

You can set it with the same ssid as the router but devices won't roam like a mesh device. They'll be sticky and tend to stay connected to either the router or extender. 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series