× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WG602V4 never allows more than 16Mbps throughput

weemat
Aspirant

WG602V4 never allows more than 16Mbps throughput

Setup info:

I have a WG602V4 as an Access Point on my home network and it is connected to a gs608v2 hub along with my router and other wired PCs. The router is a Windows 2003 SP2 server running Microsoft ISA server with 2 NICs. The NIC to the ISP is connected to a cable modem that acts as a modem only and provides a 50Mbps connection from Virginmedia in the UK.

All my home wireless devices and phones are new and therefore are capable of communicating at higher speeds than this. The laptop I am doing my tests on is a HP Elitebook 8540W with an Intel I7 CPU just to give an idea of the machines.

Issue:

I am never able to get more than 16Mbps throughput despite changing settings to be g only mode and 54Mbps as an explicit speed setting. Wired PCs show the internet connection is 50Mbps capable when testing on speedtest.net. If I am on a wireless machine I get ~ 16Mbps. I have done these tests when only one device is actively using the AP.

Perfmon on the router shows I have an output queue length on the NIC to my home network which eventually talks to devices across AP such as my XBOX. Often I have buffering issues while viewing movies on XBOX as the AP is not communicating as fast as the router can. I have done tests on my router while communicating with wired devices and have pushed throughput to 100Mbps with no output queue so I know its nothing to do with the router NICs.

The issue here is the AP. If I reboot it, its OK for a while and then it may occur again. I want to make it talk at faster speeds. I see no firmware updates. What can I do here?
Message 1 of 3
weemat
Aspirant

Re: WG602V4 never allows more than 16Mbps throughput

Does anyone have any ideas? To start with I'd like to know if anyone has ever got the WG602 V4 to communicate with another device at speeds of up to 54Mbps. I am only getting 16Mbps at best.

Cheers

M
Message 2 of 3
weemat
Aspirant

Re: WG602V4 never allows more than 16Mbps throughput

Incidentally my internet connection is now 100Mbps. Just updating post for accuracy.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7