× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN2000RPT connects to Network, but not Internet

andrei23
Aspirant

WN2000RPT connects to Network, but not Internet

Hello,

After 5+ hours of trial-and-error, I have not been able to successfully set up the WN2000RPT.

All 3 lights are green, the Extender connects to my network just fine, and my laptop connects to the Extender just fine. But the Extender does not have Internet access (as evidenced in IE on the laptop, or in selecting Update on the Extender).

I have tried both DHCP-assigned and manual settings, and have double-checked all settings on my Verizon router (model MI424WR) and there are no rules which should be blocking, even added a new one to allow the Extender''s MAC address on all ports (plus the laptop easily and instantly connects to FiOS router, both via DHCP and manual assigned IP - without any special rules or changes to the router).

I should also mention I''m not a novice, so it''s rather surprising I would have such issues setting this up. Unless your refurbished products ship broken? Could it be a hardware issue? How can the Extender "connect" to the network, but not out to the internet?

Any ideas on how to proceed appreciated!
Message 1 of 3
fordem
Mentor

Re: WN2000RPT connects to Network, but not Internet

IF the extender is connected to your network AND your network has internet access, the only way the extender cannot have internet access is if it's blocked at the firewall.

I have to assume that you are depending on the three green lights to tell you you're connected - primarily because, despite a statement that you're not a novice, there's no mention of any attempt to troubleshoot a connectivity issue.

Ever heard of ping?

Starting with the laptop connected to the extender, ping the extender - does it respond?

If the answer is no, troubleshoot the connection between the laptop and the extender; if the answer is yes, ping the router - does that respond?

If the answer is no, troubleshoot the connection between the extender and the router; if the answer is yes, ping your ISP's default gateway - does that respond?

If the answer is no, then your network does not have an internet connection, if the answer is yes, then you do have connectivity and you need to redefine the problem.
Message 2 of 3
bladebod
Tutor

Re: WN2000RPT connects to Network, but not Internet

Im counting myself one of the many Netgear customers who wish they had never bothered buying this extender.

I have spent about 8 hours trying to just get the Installation programme to allow me to reach completion, by that I mean get to the final checkbox and reach complete status.

Either I get mid-way into the installation (when the "server times out") or I get to the last page (when / if it fully loads) at that stage it LOOKS as though Im all connected as the green lights are all lit and the laptop is reporting excellent signal strength on the extender link.

However when a webpage load is initiated all I ever had was the mywifi installation page over and over again.

Being now completely underwhelmed with it I have sent it back to where it come from (Amazon) and intend to forget all about the famous WN2000RPT.
What a waste of my life.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7