× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN2000RPTv2 Connected devices

blinky1041
Aspirant

WN2000RPTv2 Connected devices

I use a new WN200RPTv2 to extend my apartment building's unsecured wifi network. To provide a degree of access control, I am using it as a bridge to a WGR614v7 with security enabled. For the extender, I have disabled the wireless AP ability, broadcast name and DHCP server.

My question is: If the extender is not functioning as a wireless AP and the router is (as well as assigning IP addresses), why does the extender show more than 1 connected network device? The only MAC address that I can identify is that of the router, the others are not associated with anything connected to the router.

The building's network has failed twice recently and the admin. believes that a connected device is issuing bad IP addresses. These failures coincide with when I started using the extender.

Thanks for your help.
Message 1 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WN2000RPTv2 Connected devices

I would used wnce3001 and connect wgr614's Internet port
Message 2 of 4
blinky1041
Aspirant

Jmiz,

Thanks for the reply. I very much wish I'd known about that device before I purchased the range extender (already had the router from a previous setup). I'd like to make the WN2000RPT and WGR614 work, if possible, to avoid spending additional funds.

Can you shed any light on to why so many connected devices are showing up on the extender's connected devices list? If the extender is not broadcasting a wireless signal and is hardwired only to my router, why is there more than one device shown connected to it?

Thanks again.
Message 3 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Because it is simple ARP request/reply that each device uses and shows the list
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements